Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is throwing up clear mucous and foam. LETHARGIC AND

My cat is throwing up clear mucous and foam. LETHARGIC AND NO APPETITE
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

When did the throwing up first start?

Is your cat urinating and defecating?

When was the last time he ate anything and what was it?

Does he spend any time outdoors?

Does his body feel much warmer than usual?

Please check the color of his gums--they should be light pink. Are they paler than that, like whitish?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

I see that you are now offline and wanted to get this information to you as soon as possible.

There are various causes for throwing up in cats, and if this has been going on all day or even for a few hours, your cat can become quickly dehydrated and the cause of the problem must be diagnosed and treated. The vet will be able to give him an injection of an anti-nausea/anti-emetic medication to help him feel better.

Because he's a male, if you haven't noticed him urinating recently, he may have a serious urethral obstruction and this will cause him to have no appetite, throw up, and become lethargic. This condition needs immediate veterinary treatment.

He might also have an intestinal obstruction which is not allowing him to defecate and toxins are building up in his system.

Your cat may have ingested a toxic or other non-food substance and this is causing his vomiting or he might have developed a viral or bacterial infection in his system.

When a cat doesn't eat, even for a short period of time, he risks developing a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis, so it's important to have your kitty evaluated in person by a vet, immediately, to determine the cause of the vomiting and have him treated. If your vet does not have hours on the weekend, bring your cat to the nearest ER vet center for treatment.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking "Reply".

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,