Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My cat has been very lethargic for the last four days, sleeping

My cat has been very lethargic for the last four days, sleeping all day and only getting up to eat, drink water and use her litter box (all of which she seems to still be doing normally), before curling up in a corner or on the bed. She's not even playing or meowing and 'chatting' like normal, because she is usually a very vocal cat. This morning, she got down from the bed to go eat and could barely manage to jump back up, which she can normally do with ease. Her eyes seem a little watery and there is a little gunk in the corners.

A bit of information: she's 4 years old, adopted from a shelter in July. She's spayed and I wouldn't exactly say she's really overweight but we've been watching her food because she's probably on the edge. She's an indoor cat, but she did manage to get out about a week and a half ago for an hour or so.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 5 years ago.

Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

Is she spayed?

Is she eating her normal amount?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any sneezing or nasal discharge?

What color are her gums?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is she spayed? Yes, she is spayed.

Is she eating her normal amount? She still seems to be eating normally and is really the only time she gets up to go to the food bowl, water bowl or littler box.

Any vomiting or diarrhea? No vomiting, and no diarrhea.

Any sneezing or nasal discharge? She was sneezing a week ago before she started acting this way, but we were also renovating our bathroom at the time and it was a bit dusty. No sneezing currently.

What color are her gums? They seem to be a normal pink. Not too red or really light.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so for the delay for some reason I could not get your thread to open.

I am typing up your answer now, while I do this is there anyway you could take a rectal temp?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately not. I'm getting information relayed to me by my husband as I'm currently not at home...and I don't think I could convince him to try.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 5 years ago.

Thats ok I completely understand Thank you for the additional information and if you could take a temp when you get home that would be great. Normal temp is 100.5-102.5

Lethargy is a very broad symptom and can be do to far to many things to cover.

With the previous sneezing, watery and gunky eyes that developed only a few days after getting out one concern would be that she has contracted an upper respiratory infection.

You can read more on this here

The Herpes virus is also possible( not contagious to humans). This is the most common cause of sneezing and eye discharge and can flair up at any time.For this we normally treat with L lysine which you can get at most pet stores or health food stores. 500mg per day for 7 days then 250 a day after that. Since this is a virus it simply has to run its course.

Here is detailed information on this

Fever can also cause lethargy so if her temp is over 103 when you get home she should be seen by a vet right away.

The fact that she is still eating and drinking is great as this is a great judge of over all health. Most cats that are very ill or in extreme pain will not eat.

With her not being able to jump this could be weakness due to URI or it is possible she got into a fight or was injured outside. Check her over really well for any lumps that could indicate an abscess.

Since she begin this soon after going out it is impossible to know for sure without an exam if she was injured, exposed to a sick cat etc.

I would take her temp this evening if it is normal I would just keep an eye on her. Try the L Lysine and make sure she continues to eat. If she stops eating even for 1 day , she has a temp or you find any lumps or injuries she should be seen right away.

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns