Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My cat has puncture wound on his face. Can I put peroxide

Customer Question

My cat has puncture wound on his face. Can I put peroxide on it? I also read that I could use neosporin??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christian K. replied 5 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. Peroxide can actually damage tissues so your best option is to flush the wound with warm water. That can be done several times a day. It will promote healing and flush out the infection. You can apply nesporin to the wound in a very light coating but definitely have him seen by a vet. The neosporin won't help the infection under the skin, that will require a prescription of antibiotics from your vet. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Wow thanks about the peroxide. I read somewhere that you could use it..

It seems that it is no longer draining or at least if I put some pressure to it nothing is oozing like it was friday and yesterday. Not sure if I should even be messing with it.

It's not horrendously bad to use peroxide but it doesn't have as much benefit as you would like. It is definitely okay to apply pressue and keep it draining. That allows the infection come out and that will speed up healing.