Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 12+ years experience
21393945

Is SUDAFED safe to give to my cat If so, how much per pound

Is SUDAFED safe to give to my cat? If so, how much per pound of kitty?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. The use of pseudoephedrine is not advised in cats. There are not a lot of great over the counter option for cats as they tend to be pretty sensitive to human medication. If this is allergies, you may see a benefit to using an antihistamine. Benedryl (diphenhydramine) can be used in cats at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice daily. Certainly, this or other antihistamines are worth a try (ie chloropheniramine, etc). They can be trial and error so it may take a few before you find one that works, if it is going to. Some vets will even use a low dose of steroids (ie prednisolone) to manage allergies. Keep in mind, that if this is an allergy, they are managed, not cured.
Another possibility is that this is a chronic virus. These can also be tough to manage, but it may be worth asking your vet about lysine products as they can help in some situations.
So, there are a few possibilities in this case and you may not find an ultimate cure, but you may find ways to manage this. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Jeff,

Thank you so much for this info! She (Maddie) is actually on prednisone now because she has a slight asthma problem (they saw a few small "circles" in her lung x-ray), but they can't figure out why the problem seems to be actually in her nasal passage, as the wheezing/gurgling noise comes from her nose/sinus area when she has a hard time breathing. Here's the weird thing - when she sleeps, her breathing calms down and she doesn't wheeze and is quiet and seems to breathe "normal". Why is that?

I do see this type of breathing pattern from time to time is cats with allergies. I would be sure that you are using prednisolone and not prednisone. Prednisolone is metabolied much easier than prednisone in the cat. You may see better results.
I would imagine with the scope, they investigated the oral cavity as well to make sure there was nothing unusual there as well. Sometimes, extra tissue associated with the soft palate is possible (but rare in cats) and could lead to strange breathing patterns.
If this produces nothing, then the next step is an MRI. The problem with this is the cost and the fact that no information may be discovered. However, it is a good detailed diagnostic. So, if this issue is not affected her quality of life, it may not be worth the financial investment.
The reason for the lack of wheeze at night is probably just relaxation. This is common in animals with mild respiratory issues. Once they are calm, the issues calm down as well. I hope this helps.
Jeff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is prednisolone, sorry! Ok, yes, all you said makes perfect sense. I'm going to try and give her a little antihistamine as you suggested and see if it helps. They actually ran an MRI on her and saw nothing! She is just baffling to them! Yes, she doesn't wheeze all the time either when she's awake and she is in good health otherwise. She's been this way for two years, so I think it will just be that she's a wheezing kitty.

Ok, I am going to accept your answer now, Dr. Jeff - thanks so much again - very very helpful!

Regards,

Michaelanne

Sounds like you are in good hands!!
Good Luck!!
Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 12+ years experience