Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Good morning. Please, help me. My cat is sick. He cant walk

Good morning. Please, help me. My cat is sick. He can't walk properly. He walks as if he was very drunk, and even falls. He can't eat. He is hungry but whaever we offer, he eats and after some time throws up. He is blind, but he knows very well his way around the house. Not any more. When he manages to get up he bumps his head against the walls. He's old - 15 years old. Through his open eyes he got an infecction, that we are treating. He's in his fourth day with antibiotics. The eyes are better, the secretion is almost gone, but we can tell that somethin went to his brain. The vet in my town gave him up, sayin he's too old. Please help. I wish I could do anything to get him better. Thank you very much for your attention. Cláudia Dias
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 5 years ago.

Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

How long has he been like this?

Has your vet done any blood work?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since last Sunday. But, paying more attention I could say that some signs were anterior. His lack of balance to walk did start sooner, about a month, but it got really worse, unabling him to walk, and desorienting him since last sunday.
My vet, as I said, blamed it all on his age (15) and did nothing but the hidratation with antibiotics. No bllod work.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately in a senior cat there are several possible causes for what you are seeing. Problem with the kidneys, liver or blood glucose levels(diabetes) can all cause the symptoms you are seeing. Not doing blood work is unacceptable in a senior cat and I would advise seeing another vet right away as all of the things listed above can be managed with medication. Diabetes and kidney disease is very common in senior cats so it has to be considered.

Vestibular disease is also possible. This is often caused by a problem in the inner ear, however we normally see things like rapid eye movement with this as well.

Here is additional information on this

In a senior cat a brain tumor though rare in cats also has to be considered.

Here is additional information on brain tumors

Because this may be related to the kidneys or diabetes I would have him seen by another vet as soon as possible. It would not be a bad idea to take him to your local Veterinary emergency if you are unable to find another regular vet open today.

Until blood work is done there is no way to know what is going on and what treatment is necessary.

Until you can get him in Pepcid AC may help stop the vomiting. !/4 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours. Wait 45 minutes after the Pepcid and offer a small amount of chicken baby food( be sure it has no onion or garlic) and see if he is able to hold this down.

Please let me know how things are going.If you need help locating a ER in your area please provide your zip code. I hope another vet will be more helpful in finding out what is going on with your boy.

Please reply back if you have additional questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
CandyR. Thank you for your answer. I've read the signs in Kidney diseases and diabetics in cats, and I'm pretty sure that he has none of them. My vet mentioned that his infection caused some neurological disorder. And I'm pretty sure his problem is neurological. He has bad trouble standing still even when sitted. He balances to the right and to the left. He meows a lot, speccially when noone is around. In the case of encephalits, what should I do? Is it recoverable? Should I think about sacrificing my baby?
Expert:  Candy R. replied 5 years ago.

Encephalitis is possible however that diagnosis with out doing blood work or other tests is really a stretch. The only way this can be properly diagnosed is by spinal tap to look for white cells in the spinal fluid.Is it treatable yes in most cases it is treatable.

Here is more on this

I am glad you reviewed the information on kidney disease and diabetes, however they can not be ruled out without blood work. Untreated diabetes will cause blindness, problems with the hind end and the drunken gate.

Should you consider letting this little one go? That is a decision only you can make I would like to see you at least get some blood work done before making this decision only so you are 100% sure there is nothing that can be done. To often I see owners make this decision without doing blood work only to second guess themselves after the fact.

Please let me know how things are going

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I ran a blood test which will be ready on Monday only. I'll let you now. Thanks for now.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome I look forward to hearing from you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Candy R. I'm deeply sorry to informe that we had to put my baby to sleep. His blood test turned out very badly. He had renal insufiency and he was suffering very very much. Sorry it took me so long to give you this feedback, but it's very painful to mention it. Thank you for your concern.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 5 years ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, kidney disease was my main concern with the symptoms he was showing. I wish there would have been more that could have done, but please know you did everything right and did what you could him.

I hope the pain of his loss subsides soon and you are left with only the good memories.He is now safe and free from pain running at the Rainbow bridge.

Here is a great site that is very helpful for some owners.

Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family