Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

how much immodium ad should I give my cat who is 7 years old

how much immodium ad should I give my cat who is 7 years old? Which formula should I use. Childern Immodium or adult? I tried Pepto Bismol but that didn't work plus I stopped after the first time since it is toxic to the cat. I use other formula sold through 800PETMEDS and that didn't work. I don't have money to see a vet so I have to find an inexpensive way to handle this with human products. Most of the medication recommended needs a prescription and I can't get that from anyone except a vet. I gave my cat immodium ad for children and I don't know if that will work yet since I just gave it to him. I would like to know how long can I give him that medication and what else I can do. I changed his food 3 times I now have him on Natural Balance. Is Science Diet better than Natural Balance and if so which formula should I get him. I give him both the can and dry food mixed together. I tried to not use can and just dry and the same problem happened; he had the runs. How does this service work? I would like to know if I have to pay more for more answers or is this a one time fee.

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

How long has your cat had loose stool?

Do you ever see blood in the stool?

What natural balance formula are you using?

Does he go outside?

Has he been seen by the vet at all since this started?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Loose Stool for approximately three months

no blood in stool

The food is Natural Balance Original Ultra Premium Cat Food (For kittens through adult)

Natural Balance Indoor Cat Formula Ultra Premium Cat Food

I have tried about three brands besides this one.

The cat never goes outside.

I cannot afford to see a vet. I have not seen one since I obtained him.

Thank you very much.

First thing is if the diarrhea has been going on for this long then something is causing it and just trying to treat the diarrhea is not going to work since diarrhea is a symptom so all you are doing is covering the problem.

One of the first things I would suggest is deworming the cat. Intestinal parasites can cause continuous diarrhea.I like the SafeGuard brand dewormer for an over the counter dewormer. This can be purchased at most pet stores.

The Natural Balance is a great food but I would switch formulas just in case this is due to a food allergy or intolerance or things like IBD. Natural Balance has a limited addition line that is grain free with a different protein source. I would suggest trying the duck and pea formula. Now changing food can take up to 8-12 weeks to work so do not give up to soon.

In many cases adding additional fiber into the diet will help firm the stool. YOu can do this by using 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin(not pie filling) to his food daily. Metamucil 1 teaspoon daily can also be added to canned food.

You can use the Children's Immodium only 1/2 teaspoon 3 times per day but you should not use this for more then 2 days.This drug can be toxic if given in too high a dose so no more then 1.5 teaspoons daily.

There are several places pet owners can go for medical care in NY if they do not have the funds.

I will give you this information in case you can not get the diarrhea under control.

Animal Care and Control has low cost care

NY Human Society try here first

Here is information on a new low cost mobile unit

MVA Hope Foundation, Rochester (veterinary care assistance)

ALL 4 PETS: Limited to Western New York (veterinary care assistance)

NY SAVE Inc. (veterinary care assistance)

I hoe this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am using D-Worm (Piperazzine); how much and how often am I suppose to use this? How about other meds I mentioned are they any good?

Ok, The D Worm will only do roundworms which is why I do not recommend it you need one that covers rounds worms, hook worms, tape worms and whip worms. The SafeGuard does all of these.

I am not sure what medications you are referring to you only mentioned Pepto by name. In many cases if there are no parasites we will use Metronidazole but that is prescription only.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Diagel and Fast Balance are the ones I used. Are they any good. If so how long should I use it for if at all

If diagel is going to work it would have worked with one treatment that is how it is designed.

The Fast Balance is a form or probiotic and not an antidiarrheal. This is only recommended to use for two days.Human probiotics can be used as well but I do not think this is going to clear the diarrhea.

I would try the safeguard and switch the Natural Balance Formula

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can I use science diet cat food?
Yes you can but it is not grain free. You can not change the food up to often or it will cause digestive upset. I would stay with the Natural Balance and use the duck or pea formula.
Sorry that should have read Duck and pea formula
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

One last question; can I use Immodium AD for children for a week while I use what you recommended to buy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can I use Immodium AD for children in small dosed for a week or so to control the runs while the other medication is being administered.

No problem ask as many questions as you need to that is why I am here.

I would not use this for 7 days. I would use this for 3 days at the most and try the fiber that seems to really help.Remember no more then 1/2 teaspoon 3 times per day