Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior

Can mineral oil really get rid of ear mites

Customer Question

Can mineral oil really get rid of ear mites?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christian K. replied 5 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. Mineral doesn't directly kill ear mites but when put in the ear it basically drowns them because they can't get enough air. It is generally very messy and doesn't work extremely well. You can typically find ear mite medications at your local pet store. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My cat is constantly getting ear mites. We take him to the vet and are prescribed medicine. Over time the medicine has stopped working and the visits are costing us a lot of money. I know that there is a particular ingredient in over the counter medicines that is not good for cats. Is there anything else I can do?
There are numerous different types of treatments that can be tried. For instance there are several topical medications that aren't even put in the ears (such as revolution) that can be tried. I would talk to your vet about some other types of treatments. Also make sure that he doesn't have a bacterial or fungal ear infection. It can look like ear mites but the medications for ear mites won't work in that case. Mineral oil or any over the counter medication won't be nearly as effective as prescription medications.