Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My siamese cat is not eating now for a week or more. She is

Customer Question

My siamese cat is not eating now for a week or more. She is also not drinking and she is lathargic and sleeps a lot of the time. We did have a small kitten in the house for about a month and that is when it started. She was the only cat ,but the kitten is gone and she still won't eat or drink. I've offered her everything that is her favorite, but she is losing weight and not moving around very much. I'm 72 yrs. old and not able to get her to the vet, but I'm very worried and I need some help. Please advise what you can.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. A cat who is not eating for a week or more, is in very serious condition! It is likely that Thai Tai is severly dehydrated, and has serious organ issues developing because of a lack of proper hydration and nutrition -- and I'm sorry to say it, but this is not something you're going to be able to nurse her through at home! I would have to recommend that you ask a friend, a neighbor, a family member -- anyone -- to help you get this little girl to a veterinarian as soon as possible, so that some blood tests can be done to see what exactly is going wrong internally!

All that can be done at home is to try to use a syringe or dropper with fluids such as diluted chicken broth, diluted clam juice, diluted tuna juice, etc in order to try to replace some of what Thai Tai is undoubtedly lacking at this point. There are no over the counter medicines that are going to be useful in this situation, unfortunately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could she be upset because she was jealous of a kitten being in the house? She was the only cat for a long time and she was fine until the kitten came into the house. How could she suddenly get so sick? And at the same time a new kitten arrived?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
It is possible that the stress of the kitten being present, lead to an underlying illness to worsen, just like stress can aggravate illness in humans. I do not believe that a purely psychological cause would lead to her not eat for this length of time. It is also possible that she picked up an illness from the kitten, especially if Thai Tai's vaccinations are incomplete or not up to date.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is an indoor cat and has not been exposed to any other cats or animals. The kitten was privately owned but had not haqd his kitten shots, he may have brought something into the house but he was very active and actually picked on her and she is an Alpha cat.until the kitten came into being.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Well, regardless of what the underlying cause is here -- a cat, just like a person, who goes for over a week without eating or drinking, is in terrible condition, and is not going to survive without intensive care including intravenous fluids. I wish there was an easier suggestion, but there simply isn't.