Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I put flea drops for dogs on my cat. I fell terrible and need

I put flea drops for dogs on my cat. I fell terrible and need to know how to get them off. She is letting me bather head and acts like it is soothing, but then shakes her head like it hurts. How can I get them off?
I applied them yesterday, and my other cat has tried to lick it off. Is this a hazard as well?

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

What brand was this and for what size dog?

Is either cat having any facial twitching or muscle tremors?

Did you apply the drops to the head?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Brand - Hartz Advanced Care

She is lying her ears back and shaking her head.

I applied the drops high on the back of her head.

Thank you for the additional information.

You want to use full strength dish soap to wash off the flea prevention. Weakened will not allow it to remove the oils.

In the future you want to apply the drops to the back of the neck and not the head.

You also want to avoid all hartz, zodiac, and sergeants products as they have the highest rate of reactions. These are currently under investigation by the EPA due to the number of reactions including death especially in cats.

If you get this off then most cats will recover in a day or two, Some do require supportive care. I would keep an eye on them for the next day or two. If they stop eating , have any muscle tremors, facial twitching or seizure activity I would have them seen by your vet.

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long does it take to see these symptoms?
I would have expected to see these signs already but it can take up to 48 hours after application.Laying the ears back can shaking the head as you have seen is a mild reaction. If they are fine tomorrow evening then I would say your are out of the woods.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I will keep an eye on them both.
You are very welcome I am glad I was here to help