Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 2 month old kitten gurgles and vomits after each bite she

My 2 month old kitten gurgles and vomits after each bite she eats. I am feeding her wet baby cat food (which is what the woman I got her from fed her). We tried dry baby cat food which she had had before but she vomits that up too- she doesn't even chew the dry food.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.

Is she sneezing or coughing?

Is she vaccinated?

Have you had her to a vet yet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She sneezes when she is eating/vomiting.
She has had her first round of vaccinations- she is due for the next set in 2 weeks.
She has been to the vet once but I did not own her at that point
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks.

It sounds like your cat has an URI (upper respiratory infection). This is very common in cats and causes sneezing, nasal discharge and ocular discharge. The gagging is likely due to a post-nasal drip and irritation of the larynx- this can cause problems swallowing. The cause of a URI in a cat is usually viral (herpes or chlamydia most commonly).

These URI's will usually run their course and resolve over 1-2 weeks. In severe cases I like to put these cats on an antibiotic to treat/ prevent any secondary infections. Something you can do at home to help with the nasal congestion is run a hot shower and put the cat in the bathroom. This can help break up the congestion. You can also pick up saline nose drops and put one drop in each nostril 3-4 times daily to moisten the nasal mucosa. Other than that, you usually just have to ride out the signs and wait for it to resolve on it's own.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She acts like she wants to eat, should I let her even though it causes her to gag? My roommate has a kitten who had an infection, is it possible my kitten got it from him? Should I get human nasal drops?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am worried about her choking.

Also is this infection what they test for with the PARVO test?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you can use human nasal drops. Make sure they only contain saline- no decongestants.

I would try the hot shower first and see if that helps before feeding next time.

The gagging is probably due to inflammation around the larynx. If you can't get food to stay down at all, then you need to get her seen.

This is not the feline panleukopenia virus, no. That is the one that test with the Parvo test.

The URI's are contagious, so yes it may have come from your roommate's kitten.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She can keep a little food down.

How long should I monitor her before I take her to the vet?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.
If she has been gagging/ vomiting for more than 24 hours, then it's time to get her seen.