Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 3 year old cat is sneezing often & loudly and limping (I

Customer Question

My 3 year old cat is sneezing often & loudly and limping (I can't tell which of the back legs he is limping on). It just started yesterday. Otherwise he seems ok - playing and lying around like usual. He's maybe a bit lethargic but its also 90 degrees outside. Any idea what it could be? I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet - I'm on a fixed income.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this guy's situation. With him being an outside cat, it would seem very likely that the sneezing your seeing is due to a feline upper respiratory infection. He most likely has been around other cats that have this virus and now he's got it. As long as he's got a good immune system he should be able to fight this off. I would provide rest and nutrition and time for him to fight it off. As far as the limping, he could have jumped off something and pulled something, or gotten into a fight and was bit on that leg. As long as he's not totally holding that leg up, you can give him a couple days to see if it improves. I would definitely get him in if the limping gets worse.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Since both symptoms came at the same time, it seems logical that they are related
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
They are related. He's an outside cat that was around another male cat likely and got into a tussle with him and got bit and got the infection too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. There actually has been another stray cat hanging around here lately. He has been fighting with the neighborhood cats and meows loudly at night. What is the best way to get rid of him (especially since he may be harming our cats)? We aren't leaving food out and he is afraid of humans. But I see him picking on the other cats - he will corner them and then start hissing and clawing.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Honestly, there really isn't anything short of live trapping him and moving him, your not going to be able to do anything.