Hello,I am sorry your boy has you worried.
If you cat is not in pain I am unsure why your vet would think this is anything more serious then Gingivitis.
The redness at the gum line is classic for gingivitis and is very common in cats.This is normally cleared up with antibiotics and teeth cleaning.
here is more on this
I would not panic just yet wait until you see what they say at the specialist but if he is not in pain there should be no reason to pull the teeth at this time.
I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns
I looked up the site you listed and it makes me feel better, because his gums aren't 1/10th that bad--only a darker pink line near his teeth. He does have some tartar buildup on his back teeth, so I guess to be safe, I should get his teeth cleaned with xrays ($700--ouch!). I just wonder if it's worth the anxiety of putting him under anesthesia.
Good I am glad you feel better. I would absolutely do the cleaning so the problem does not get worse but really what you have described is classic gingivitis. If you do not have the funds right now to do x rays and cleaning I would ask your vet if they can do a round of antibiotics(clindamycine) and give you a few weeks to save money for the cleaning.
In a cat that had these symptoms we would not refer to a specialist but would try the antibiotics first then wait 2-3 weeks and do a cleaning
YEAH... That is great news. I am glad I was here to help and guide you .
Thank you so much for the update and keep up the good work