Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cats ear is drooping

My husband and I adopted our 1.5 year old domestic shorthaired cat 3 months ago from the animal shelter. We have been treating him for a serious URI (almost fully recovered), ear mites, and Bartonellosis. He is currently on his last round of Azithromycin from the URI (but our vet also said it will help with his Bartonellosis). His ears have greatly improved from the mites (he has Tresaderm ear drops), however, when my husband and I returned from our weekend trip we noticed the tip of one of his ears was drooping very slightly. It has been a few days and the droop is starting to become slightly more pronounced (though someone who does not see him every day may not notice). I did a little bit of research and found some information about hematomas of the pinna which apparently causes drooping or crumpling of the ear. There does not seem to be any swelling around that ear and it does not seem to be a different color or causing him any pain. Is this something to be concerned about? Could this be a side-effect from the mites? He has not been scratching at his ears for a month and a half now. The mites seem to be completely gone. Thank you so much!

I am sorry your boy is having trouble.

Do you see evidence he ate and drank while you were away?

Did anyone come in to check on him?
When you pull up his skin at his scruff does it spring back or move slowly?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried responding but I don't think it worked. I'll retype it just in case you didn't get it.

Even though we had "auto" food and water dishes he didn't eat or drink very much at all. We just moved from Virginia to New Jersey and I lost my "pet sitter" so no one checked in on him.

The skin around his scruff does seem to move a little slowly when I pull it. Nothing really obvious though.

By the way, he did have diarrhea before we left and I thought it was all cleared up but I think it's back again. I was giving him water through a medicine dropper to make sure he didn't get dehydrated. He seems to have plenty of energy and is playful though.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well.

Drooping ear tips can be a symptom of dehydration. It could have been caused by the diarrhea or he did not eat and drink while you were away.

Other possinilities are fever, hematoma or potassium deficiency.

If you have a can of tuna, drain the liquid into a bowl and see if he will lick it up.

You can also offer him milk or broth with no onion.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If he wants tuna, give it to him.You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

If his tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If he wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Give him droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure he stays hydrated.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,