Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We took in a year old (were guessing) cat and her day-old

We took in a year old (we're guessing) cat and her day-old kittens five and a half weeks ago. She has had diarrhea since about a week before the kittens were born (that we noticed). We've been trying everything we can think of to help her with this, had her to the vet when the kittens were less than a week old, and I've spent pretty much every free moment (I work full time) tending to her and the babies. For the first two weeks, I stayed up nearly 20 hours a day keeping her from rolling over on them or pooping on them. I already had two five-year old cats who we have kept confined to two rooms at the back of the house, thinking we would wait until the diarrhea was resolved and the kittens were bigger before we introduce them. The two resident cats have gained about three pounds each from inactivity. Now this afternoon, a new development is that the mother cat seems determined to poop by the back door. I've cleaned the floor every time, and I keep her box cleaner than anyone could expect, given that she poops about once an hour, if I'm lucky. I'm truly at my wit's end. The vet says we have to wait until the kittens are weaned before he can try some "rule out" treatment. He thinks it's stress. I don't see how that's possible. He did a fecal float test and found nothing, but said that doesn't mean she's clear of parasites. He doesn't think the food makes any difference, but I've tried Natura EVO canned and dry (the food we fed her when she 'adopted' us in February before we knew she was pregnant), IAMS Veterinary Low residue, Panacur, baby rice cereal and baby chicken, Royal Canin 33, Newman's Own chicken and rice, and she's been on Pet Pectillin for four days as directed. Nothing is helping. Now this liquid poo on the floor that seems deliberate as opposed to the mulitple accidents I've willingly cleaned up for five weeks. What on earth can I do? I can't live like this. I feel bad for her because this can't be fun for her, either. Is there any hope that she won't have to be kicked outside? I hate to do that, but I don't know what else to do.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Brian replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Brian :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and will try to help you.

Dr. Brian :

What is she eating now?

Dr. Brian :

Has she been wormed yet since the birthing of the kittens?

Dr. Brian :

How many cats do you have? How many litter boxes? How close is the nearest litter box to the back door?

Dr. Brian, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 34 years in private practice, 2008 WA State Vet of the Year
Expert:  Terri replied 3 years ago.

Hi Deb,

I am so sorry you are still having trouble.

Are you saying Momma still has liquid diarrhea?

What is she eating?

How are the babies stools?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I had to go to bed, and now I'm on my way to work. Her stools were not firm, but not liquid until yesterday. And she was using the box with no problem. Now this. One of the kittens (not all) have small pale stools that are soft. I can't tell which one. The vet told me to feed the mother whatever she will eat since she's so thin. No big change yesterday. She walks directly to the back door, turns and looks right at me, meows the whole time, and poops. If I say "NO. Go to your box!", sometimes she will walk to it and use it, meowing the whole time. I'm baffled.
Expert:  Terri replied 3 years ago.

OK, so her stools had firmed up and are now loose again?

What did she eat just prior to the diarrhea yesterday?

When her stools are normal does she go in her box?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Her stools have never been normal. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that, but I'm getting beyond my limits. I'm really thinking of weaning the kittens and putting her outside. It's just oo much.
Expert:  Terri replied 3 years ago.
Would you consider spaying her now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The kittens will be six weeks old this coming Friday. She is not acting like she wants to go outside. She stands with her back to the door and poops, staring at me the whole time. I don't know that spaying will make any difference. This liquid diarrhea is too much. Five weeks of this now, living with my two cats locked up and the mom in our kitchen. It's horrible, and I don't know how much longer I'm willing to deal with it. I have to leave for work in a few minutes. Will you be online in an hour or so?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Teri, I want to clarify. The back door is not where she has ever come or gone through. She knows we come and go through that door, but she has never used it. We always let her in the patio door.
Expert:  Terri replied 3 years ago.

Hi Deb,

Yes, I will be here so reply any time.

My main concern is that she will get pregnant again if she goes outside. I KNOW you don't want that!

Believe me, I understand how patient you have been and what you have gone through with this kitty You're a SAINT!

The problem is that a cat with diarrhea is going to poop out of box because she does not want to step in it.

By doing it right in front of you, she is trying to let you know there is a problem and get your help.

I am wondering if she has food allergies or this is stress related.

Can you please make a list of the foods she has been eating?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Terri,

The list of foods she's been eating, not all in the same day. She loved Royal Canin 33 the first few times she ate it, even getting all excited when my husband poured frozen vegetables in a pan because it sounded like the bag of Royal Canin (my guess). So we bought a large bag, and then she didn't like it. She will eat occasionally, but not much. Mostly she gets Beechnut stage 1 chicken mixed with either Pet Pectillin (5ml every four hours) or baby rice cereal. Several times a day she also gets whatever else she might eat such as Newman's Own chicken and rice, California Naturals chicken and brown rice, Innova EVO dry, plain yogurt, Forti Flora sprinkled on food once a day. I just haven't seen any improvement except for brief periods where stools seem less liquid and she gets to the box on time. Big thrills for us when she does that. My house smells like the carnivore house at the zoo.

Expert:  Terri replied 3 years ago.

Hi Deb,

Can you please try something for me?

Let's change her protein source for a few days and see if her stools improve.

Since you have been feeding poultry lets stop it and try fish or beef.

Let me know if that changes anything.

Hugs,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fish seems to interest her quite a bit, the aroma, at least. We have salmon often, and she really perks up when she smells that. I'll stop on the way home tonight and get her some fish cat food. Hey, anything's worth a try at this point. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!
Expert:  Terri replied 3 years ago.

Dear Deb,

I know how much you have been through already with Cutie and it would be a real shame to give up now.

I suspect she has food allergies, possibly to poultry.

Add one tablespoon of rice cereal to each can of food. Since she is skinny, kitten food would be good for her.She needs to rebuild herself

Try this product:

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Fast+Balance+G.I.-prod10905.html

I will be keeping my fingers crossed so please let me know what happens.

Love and blessings,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband went shopping today while I'm at work, and he got a few more cans of the Hills I/D, two cans of California Naturals Salmon and Sweet Potato, a can of Califnornia Naturals Deep Ocean Fish and Brown Rice. I will order the med you suggested. Can't hurt, right? She's being a little more agreeable about the box use. She will use the box if it's cleaned EVERY time she uses it. Tongue out I guess that's a small price to pay for not having to mop the floor every hour. I'll let you know how this works out.
Expert:  Terri replied 3 years ago.

Hi Deb,

Thanks for your accept!

Yes, please do keep me posted on how Cutie is doing.

Yes, its far easier to clean the box than the floor.

If her stool firms up I bet she will use the box all the time!

FINGERS CROSSED

With love,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After you mentioned how cats hate to step in poo (who doesn't?), I checked her feet and found that her back feet have litter stuck to the fur between her toes. Yuck! I cleaned her feet last night, but that didn't last long. I'm going to try emptying the litter box and putting sheets of newspaper in the bottom instead of litter since she seem to prefer pooing on the newspaper we put on the floor by the back door. I've fed her California Naturals Salmon and Sweet Potato a few times now, but it's too soon to tell if it's helping. We haven't given up yet. I'll keep you posted!

Expert:  Terri replied 3 years ago.

OK, Deb. As you know, it can take a week or more before you see results from new food, so please be patient. I KNOW you have been VERY patient and gone above and beyond for this kitty so please don't think I do not know.BLESS YOU!

Yes, the newspaper is a great idea. There is also a paper litter called yesterday's news.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed this new diet will do the trick.

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert