Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

My cat is losing hair on her face (above the eyes, around

Customer Question

My cat (3 yr) is losing hair on her face (above the eyes, around her nose, eyes and lips), and around her nipples. She also has a scabby spot on her knee -- dry, thick, hairless spot. The skin on the temples is discolored - light bluish round spots. She had one small wound full of puss there, but it disappeared. I haven't noticed any excessive scratching. What is her problem? I suspect it might be ringworm... if it is, can I cure it at home & how? Thanks!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 5 years ago.

Lori :

Hello---I'm so sorry you are having to go thru this....

Lori :

Ringworm can be very difficult to get rid of. Do you only have the one cat?

Expert:  Lori replied 5 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Lori replied 5 years ago.
I would suggest trying a tube of Lotramin Ultra. Use it daily on the scaly spots and you should see an improvement in several days. This can be purchased at your local pharmacy with the athletes foot products. You may end up needing to have your vet do a small skin scraping to verify what the problem is, if the lotramin doesn't clear the problem us. These can take from a few days to a few weeks, depending on the growth of the culture. If your vet does determine that there IS ringworm, you can ask them to do a lyme dip as this is usually successful at getting rid of the problem.

Good luck!!! Please let me know if I can assist further.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have two cats, the other one seems fine, but I guess this is just for now. ;)

I will try applying the cream you suggested -- thank you.

What is a lyme dip, and would you suspect the problem could be other than ringworm?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please disregard my above reply. I just realized how the system on here works.

Thank you for your suggestions!