How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. JD Your Own Question
Dr. JD
Dr. JD, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 1420
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine- 15+ years practice experience- special interest in behavior
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat ate some Tulip petals and leaves and vomited them up

Resolved Question:

My cat ate some Tulip petals and leaves and vomited them up and her food 4 days ago. She has been listless and not interested in food but will drink some water if brought to the water bowl. Is there anything I can give her to make her feel better or should I just take her to the vet? She may need fluids but I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on tests at the vet.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.


Tulip ingestion in cats generally results in possible contact irritation and gastrointestinal irritation... meaning vomiting, anorexia, and diarrhea can occur. Generally, it is not toxic to the kidneys or liver, which is good news. However, if anorexia and vomiting continue for days, they can easily get dehydrated which will just worsen the symptoms. Also, if she is an overweight/fat cat and suddenly becomes anorectic, she is at risk for developing a type of liver failure that can be deadly if her appetite is not restored quickly. Also, there have been some reports of ingesting tulip bulbs causing nervous system disorders, so there definitely is some concern.


It does concern me that this has been going on for a few days now... You could try some pepcid AC (famotidine is the generic name)- the dose would be 2.5mg/cat every 12 hours. Otherwise, there really aren't any safe over the counter medications for cats. If this continues, I would seek veterinary care. Even if you can't afford expensive testing, they may be able to give some fluids or injections that will help speed her recovery.


I hope this helps and best of luck. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Dr. JD and 3 other Cat Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.

I also just wanted to make sure you meant tulips, and not LILIES. Lilies are extremely toxic to cats and ingesting any portion of the plant can cause a life-threatening kidney failure even with aggressive immediate treatment. If there's any chance what she ingested was lily plant, seek veterinary care immediately!



Related Cat Questions