Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My vet recommended Kaopectate for my cats diarrhea, and I

My vet recommended Kaopectate for my cat's diarrhea, and I gave her a dose earlier tonight. It seems to have helped, but then I read the ingredients and found it's not kaolin and pectin, it's the same as pepto bismol. Pepto contains salycilate which is bad for cats, I've always heard. Did my vet not realize it had this ingredient, or is it okay for the four days he recommends?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
It is not okay for the 4 days.
There can be some formulas that do not have the salicylates, but because of the great risk, vets never recommend it.

So, I think your vet may have made a boo boo.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1303+1459&aid=1431

Or, perhaps, they should have clarified this point about not substituting pepto. Personally, I never recommend it for the fear of the wrong product being used.

So, likely no problem if used once, but certainly would not continue. Talk to your vet, and try to get the kaopectate WITHOUT the toxic ingredient.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I saw a product at Petco that has only kaolin and pectin, plus some herbal ingredients. This poor cat has had loose stools for five weeks now since she delivered five kittens. The kittens are in great shape and she feeds them constantly, but she has lost at least two pounds and currently weights just over six. The vet did a test on a stool sample and didn't find anything. He says her bowels are thickened but he feels no masses. She's not dehydrated, and her gum color is good. The vet says there's nothing he can do until she's no longer nursing. She seems to feel fine other than being so skinny. Do I have the wrong vet? This cat 'adopted' us in January, before she was pregnant. We fed her and make a shelter on the deck. When she had kittens, we brought her in. She had loose stools before she delivered.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
1. yes, wrong vet.
Why?
There is always some options generally. For example, if you are willing, they could refer you to a internal medicine specialist for a second opinion. A specialist may have some options for therapy

2. The other petco product would be okay, but I get nervous with "extra" herbal ingredients. They could make the intestines worse.

I would consult at least another vet, if not a internist, just to see what other therapies could be offered.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just read that toxic levels of salicylate are 11mg. The ingredients in this dose I gave her is 262mg per 15ml. She got 1ml, so that's 17mg. Do I need to take her to the emergency clinic?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I want to say no.

But!
Since the entire 262mg is the subsalicylate, than your calculation is correct.

Sometimes, mixed products add up to 262mg, and therefore, it would have been lower.

To be safe...the ER visit would be wise. Treatment may include some intravenous fluids for diuresis to start.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is very upsetting. She has four week old kittens. Is this going to kill her?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Well,
It is a higher dose. But, only given once. I would hope that with appropriate follow up care, she should be okay.

But, that is just a guess based on no exam or blood testing.

Also, some cats can be more sensitive than others.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
FYI:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx

You'll find some interesting info towards the bottom of the link.

So, it is quite possible your cat will not have a problem at all with 1ml of liquid.
No guarantee, but wanted to give you some hope.

I guess that's final answer I can provide.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just talked with the pet poison control center ($37 per call) and they said that bismuth salycilate content of salycilate is much lower than aspirin would be, so what I gave her works out to 3mg of salycilate, well below what they consider toxic (20mg). They said that she should be fine, but not to give her any more. I will call the vet in the morning, just to follow up, and I will get the kaolin and pectin product from Petco tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help. The article was reassuring, too.