Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hello! My cat has chest congestion and trouble breathing.

Hello! My cat has chest congestion and trouble breathing. X-rays showed a lot of congestion in the lungs. She coughs frequently, and sometimes spits up a little mucus. Our vet has given her antibiotics, which helped, but the condition returned several weeks later. We give her Albuterol via an Areo-cat, but it doesn't seem to help much. Is there an safe expectorant we can give her to help clear her lungs? She weighs about 9 pounds.

The vet also gave her Prednisone, but it didn't seem to help much either.  About 10 days into the antibiotic regimine she stopped coughing.  We gave her 3 consecutive courses of antibiotics starting at Christmas, Amoxicillin, I think.  The coughing gradiually returned, and now she coughs several times a day.

I am so sorry your little one is having trouble.I would love to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Did x rays show any changes in the heart?

Was a heartworm test done?

Was blood works done?

Have they discussed doing a trans tracheal wash?

I see you went offline so I will give you some information without the additional information.

If you have not had a heart worm test done this would be recommended. Heartworms can cause damage to the heart which can result in fluid build up in the lung.

Cardiomyopathy which is another heart condition as well as cancer and problems with the liver can also cause reoccuring fluid build up in the lungs.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/respiratory/c_ct_pulmonary_edema

If would also ask about doing a transtrachael wash where is were some of the fluid is removed form the lung and sent out to the lab to properly identify any bacteria or fungal infection that is in there. Only when this has been identified can you be sure your vet is using the proper medication to full clear the problem.

If this is due to a fungal infection the antibiotics will not work an anti fungal is needed

I would also ask if they have done blood work to look for anemia and check the blood protein levels

If this continues I would ask for a referral to an internal medicine specialist.

I hope this has given you some things to discuss with your vet. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Oh -- blood protein was OK, and she's not anemic. Vet suspected an alergy. I'd like to give her guifanessin, but need to know if it's safe for cats, and what the approximate dosage should be.

Also -- if it's fungal, could a health-store preparation like Caprystatin help? Is it safe for cats?

I am glad your vet ruled out the low protein and anemia

Guaifenesin can be used in cats at a dose of 1teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight once daily some cats may experience nausea or vomiting.

Here is more on the use of this medication

http://www.vetinfo.com/treating-cat-cough-guaifenesin.html

The Caprystatin will not help if this is fungal , you need an actual anti fungal medication and not just a supplement. The Caprystatin and other supplements like it will help for yeast build up in the gut but not the lungs.

I would really ask about the heartworm test and doing a wash to see for sure exactly what is in there

Please let me know how things are going

Candy