Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

My cats right eye has turned completely black.He doesnt seem

My cats right eye has turned completely black.He doesnt seem to be in any pain but appears to be sensitive to sunshine.That eye squints when he is in sunlight.Any idea what it is and how serious?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
Is the pupil large? Or is the whole eye actually discolored?

If you compared both pupils of the eye are they the same size?

Does your cat have any diagnosed health conditions?

Is your cat on any medications?

Does he go outdoors?

Any recent weight loss or increase in thirst?

Thank you

Theresa
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The pupil of both eyes are the same size.The whole eye has discolored.It started with a small spot a few years ago and has progressed gradually to this state.The only other health problem he has had is a urinary problem.We had to switch him to wet food/low ash.No problem since then.He is not an outdoor cat.No recent weight loss or increase in thirst ,

Thanks

Bill

Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
I have to highly suggest that you get an appointment with your regular veterinarian. There is a very high probability here that your can has a melanoma in his eye. The only treatment for this is an enucleation to remove the eye. However, I would suggest check radiographs to rule out metastatsis of this form of cancer to the lungs and bloodwork to see how his kidney and liver function are. There is a 50% chance of this spreading to other parts of the body and if he isn't generally healthy then you may not want to persue removal of the eye. When this surgery is performed it is best done by an ophthomologist but your regular vet can perform this procedure as well. The eye, conjunctiva and third eyelid should all be removed in the case of a highly suspicious melanoma. I would be sure that the specimen is then send for a histopath to confirm diagnosis and staging.

Here is a link for you to read:

http://www.vetcancercare.com/literature/oncology/Melanoma%20in%20Cats.pdf

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa
Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
graphic This is a common presentation of a melanoma of the iris. It can be darker or lighter depending on how much pigment is present. Sometimes it can cover the whole eye making the pupil difficult to discern. In many cases it can take several years of progression to get to the point that a person starts to worry. It can cause glaucoma and lead to blindness but not in all cases. The biggest concern here is that they have been known to metastasize and the sooner the eye is removed the better.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Theresa