Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.

My 18 year-old cat has stopped eating and will barely drink

My 18 year-old cat has stopped eating and will barely drink for the last 24 hours. She just lays there on a towel because she has started to lose her bladder control. She's been slowing down for a couple of months now and could barely jump up on the bed in the last week.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sorry to hear about you old kitty. It sounds like she is in the end-stages of either kidney failure, hyperthyroidism, or both.

Dr. Scarlett :

Cancer is another possibility.

Dr. Scarlett :

What kind of advice are you hoping for today?

Customer:

Is there anything to be done or should we just make her comfortable until she dies. Will she start to suffer becasue she doesn't seem to be in any pain now.

Dr. Scarlett :

I think you need to consider humane euthanasia at this point. When a cat stops eating and doesn't want to move, she feels really bad. It probably isn't pain like a broken leg, but she is suffering. She is dehydrated, so think how you feel when you are really thirsty--headache, dry mouth, parched. If she is in kidney failure, she has a lot of toxins built up in her system and probably feels very nauseous. So I wouldn't let her just die at home. The most loving thing you can do for her is take her to a vet today and let her go peacefully. After 18 wonderful years with her, that is the best thing you can do.

Customer:

thank you for confirming what I already felt would be the outcome. I really have no choice at this point but to have her put to sleep.

Dr. Scarlett :

I think so. Take comfort in knowing you are doing the best thing for her--she will appreciate being allowed to pass peacefully, rather than suffering until she finally dies on her own.

Customer:

Good Bye and thanks again.

Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.