Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is keeping his head down with his chin tucked in. He

My cat is keeping his head down with his chin tucked in. He doesnt move it even when he walks. He has had kidney disease for about two years, but he is stable, or has been anyways. I just noticed this week that he has started losing weight and is sleeping a lot so i've started giving him more fluids and giving it to him every day instead of every other day. he has gotten better since i started giving fluids every day, seems to have more energy and is eating more, but yesterday he started tucking his chin under and keeping his head down constantly. any ideas?

Dear friend,

I am sorry your baby is not feeling well.

The head down may be a potassium deficiency. That is common with renal patients.It affects the muscles. See pic:

http://www.lbah.com/images/renal/ventroflexion.jpg

He may need a suppliment.

Two supplements that are very useful in the management of cats with kidney disease are Azodyl and Epakitin. These products help the body to eliminate waste products more efficiently, when the kidneys aren't working well. They are manufactured by Vetoquinol, and can be ordered by your veterinarian.

Read more here:

http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Renal_K_Powder_100gm/Dog_Cat_Geriatric_Supplements

It is not good for him to lose weight.

I can give you several recipes that were formulated by Hills and distributed to vets berfore Science diet was on the market. Royal canin makes a very palatable renal food as well.

C/D or H/D recipe - feline (also known as Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet):
1 lb regular ground beef, cooked
1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only) cooked
1 cup cooked white rice without salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)
1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+3/4lbs

Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weight

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding
5lb 1/5lb
7-8lb 1/4lb
10lb 1/3lb

_____________________________________________________________________________

K/D recipe - feline

(also known as Feline Restricted Protein Diet):

1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only)

2 cups cooked white rice without salt

2 large hard-cooked eggs

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)

Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat. Combine all ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+1/4lbs

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding

5lb 1/4lb

7-8lb 1/3lb

10lb 2/5lb

Cats with only 25% of kidney function can do fine via SubQ fluids which can evn be administered at home:

http://www.felinecrf.com/managh.htm

Here is info on CRF and FUS

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/p/CRF.htm

http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthfus.htm

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/renal.html

Please let me know how he is doing.I will always be here for you.I hope all will be well.

Best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, i forgot to mention that he is on K/D. has been on it since I found out he was sick, but he will ONLY eat the dry food, he refuses to eat the wet. The fluids I give him are SubQ. He is getting 60cc a day, two 30cc injections. So you think its a potassium deficiency? If i give him a suppliment can it be fixed? (I am taking him to the vet as soon as i get off of work today)

Yes, it definitely sounds like a potassium deficiency. As I said this is quite common with renal patients because the kidneys do not maintain the proper potassium balance. The vet will prescribe the supplement.

It would be best if he ate wet food for his hydration.

Have you ever tried royal canin canned?

What do you think of the recipes?

Please let me know what the vet says and how your baby is doing.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Warmest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The recipies, I should add those to his K/D dry food?

I tried really hard to get him to eat the wet food. he stopped eating completely for two days and so i relented and gave him the dry, which he actually seems to really like.

thank you so much for your help!

also, I need to add that other supplement to the mixture that goes with the K/D?

oh and that picture is exactly what he's doing.

Try the recipes and see if he likes them and eats well. Stop eating is NEVER an option for a cat.

If he does ask his vet about phasing out the K/D. Always get vet approval for any diet change.

Dont worry, I have seen many cats with low potassium that did just fine with a supplement.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

He is VERY lucky to have YOU for a "mommy"!

Thank you for pressing accept.

Best wishes for him,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

you asked me to keep you updated:

My vet thinks that this all has to do with his kidney failure and so he is keeping him at his office for a few days on IV fluids to see if he improves. I asked him to do bloodwork as well to see if he needs suppliments when (hopefully) he improves.

What did the vet say about his low potassium?

Has he improved at all?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The vet didnt say anything about it. He thinks if his potassium is low then it all has to do with the kidney failure and that giving him supplements right now will not help. he thinks that he needs a few days on IV fluids before my adding supplements might help.i asked him to do the bloodwork because i want to know so I can know if i need to add supplements when/if he makes it through this episode.

I havent been able to talk to them yet today to ask how he is. almost afraid to ask. i'll call them in two hours when i get a break at work.

Yes, the low potassium is definitely related to his kidney disease.

I will be praying he is still treatable.Sometimes IV fluids do the trick.

Please keep me posted on how he is doing.

Best wishes and prayers for him,

Terri