Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Is it safe to give cat some Ginger

Is it safe to give cat some Ginger?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
I would not recommend it for fear of inducing stomach nausea or digestive problems, not helping.

If he is experiencing any vomiting, refusing to eat, or diarrhea, I would get him into a vet for some basic testing at this age. Delays can be costly.

To help any nausea, you can give a 1/4 tablet of over-the-counter Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid.

Otherwise, I would not give Ginger to a cat

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Spot, my cat is under the care of a vet and he is terminally ill due to a liver disease. While, I am waiting for Spot's repeat medication I was hoping if I could find something to make him a little bit more confortable with ginger.

Thank you,

Annika
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Understood Annika.
You would probably be better off with Ginger, and talk to your vet about starting Denamarin:
http://nutramaxlabs.com/vet/products/Denamarin.aspx

Good Luck