Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Can I give my cat benadryl or ativan to calm her down

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I can't legally comment on giving a cat ativan, unless your vet has prescribed it, but you can give benadryl.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes.
So, a average size cat can get about 1/4 to 1/2 tablet of a 25mg benadryl. If you give liquid, you would need to give 3-4mls, which is a lot to have a cat take.

If ineffective, there are other sedatives your vet can prescribe.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
One other thing to point out definitely worth investigating:

By far, the most popular supplement to help with cat stress and anxiety is Feliway:
Feliway Link

A nice supplement that may not be enough by itself but well worth using. You cannot smell it, so nice alternative.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, I don't have to worry about side effects except maybe the cat sleeps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I rarely run into any side-effect with the antihistamines.
Sometimes, with sedation, it can also cause loss of appetite, but that would be my only primary concern.