Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

my 1 year old female cat ate 1 trazodone 50 mg tablet, what

Customer Question

my 1 year old female cat ate 1 trazodone 50 mg tablet, what should be done?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. How long ago did Felina eat it? How sure are you that she ate it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She nocked over the pill container about 45 minutes ago and 1 pill is not accounted for. Not 100% positive she eat one but am concerned that she did because we could not find the 1 pill.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Ok. This is a situation where one of two things happened. She actually ate the tablet, or she didn't. Honestly, I would find it very un-likely that she ate it. Just knowing how hard it is to actually get a cat to eat a tablet / pill when medically we want them too. They just are not like dogs and eat things indiscriminantly. So, odds are that the pill is still in the environment. I would look again and count the pills again.

But, if she actually did eat it, I don't have specific toxicity results on this medication and that is something that animal poison control does have. I would contact them as they can then further make recommendations based on their large database of such toxicities. They will be able to say if she needs to get to the ER clinic or not.

They are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Bruce,

I already knew of the animal poison control but was hoping you could help being your site isn't as expensive. Should she be showing some kind of symptoms if she did eat the pill?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
With toxicities, signs may take minutes, to an hour or two to many hours. It all depends on dose and the medication. Trazodone can cause hypotension which would be displayed as weakness and collapse. I didn't find any specific doses as far as at what levels it will be displayed. Honestly, I would say calling them again is your best bet. You can ask for a refund on your deposit here and use that for their help.