Dr.Wally
Dr.Wally, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience in Veterinary field.
12284676

My 5 yr old girl has been throwing up a lot this week. I am

My 5 yr old girl has been throwing up a lot this week. I am in the process of changing her food. This morning she gagged but didn't throw up food or hair. When she does throw up it seems to be undigested food. I am trying to change her from proplan to natures balance. Everything else is OK, she drinks a lot of water and her litterbox duties are normal. I really am getting nervous. She has always thrown up on occasion,but this week already it has been four times. I also brush her every day to avoid hair balls.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr.Wally replied 3 years ago.

Dr.Wally :

Good morning! It sounds like your cat is having a tough time adjusting to the new food. Are you gradually switching, or did you just change over all at once?

Customer:

She was doing all the throwing up before I tried the food change. I am gradually changing by mixing some of her proplan into the new food

Customer:

This morning she just threw up white foam, no food

Dr.Wally :

It doesn't sound like the food change is the main problem, then. Cats who vomit chronically (more than once or twice a month) sometimes have a food intolerance (which is why you are switching foods is my guess). Sometimes the problem gets worse before it gets better. You can get some medications from your vet such as an antibiotic (metronidazole) to help with the bacteria shift which usually is the cause of the problem. At home, you can try giving a 1/4 tab famotidine (brand name pepcid) for upset stomach. Give this once a day. You may need to give steroids for a little while to get the problem under control.

Dr.Wally :

For more information on dietary intolerances in cats you can read more at: peteducation.com Search for IBD cats and it will give you a great article.

Customer:

Thank you very much Doctor, I will do that. Have a good day.

Dr.Wally :

If you are satisfied with this answer, please don't forget to click ACCEPT so I can get credit. Thanks! Have a great day!

Dr.Wally, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years experience in Veterinary field.