Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

cat ate babies breath or green rose leaves... threw up green

cat ate babies breath or green rose leaves... threw up green stuff and foamed at the mouth. should i be worried and is it toxic? what should i do

I am sorry your boy is eating your plants.

Baby's Breath is considered toxic due to the fact that it causes vomiting and diarrhea.

Roses are not toxic but can cause some diarrhea.

It is very common to see cats foam at the mouth when they eat something they should not and when they are nauseous.

I would rinse his mouth look for any pieces of plant material left in the mouth. Pepcid AC may help calm the stomach.

I would keep an eye on him, if the vomiting does not reside, he becomes overly lethargic, stops eating or has any additional problems I would suggest having him seen by your vet

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
candy it was the stem... the rose stem. i just found another peice on the floor... can i give him anti vommiting meds from the vet? i have them on hand<br /><br />I just spoke to the emergency vet.. . they said to find out from poison control what to give him for rose stems or babies breaths... are they kidding me?  uggggg

According to the ASPCA animal poison control the roses are not toxic even the stem They can like any plant cause digestive upset.

Here is more from them on roses

If the anti vomiting meds were previously prescribed for this cat they may help however the Pepcid AC will help prevent acid build up and may be more effective.

If there were thorns on the stem this can pose a risk of perforation in the digestive tract, larg pieces of stem can also cause a problem.

Edited by CandyR on 2/12/2011 at 9:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much... i need to go get some pepcid. i think hes ok now .. he just threw up again and it was clear.. with a tiny bit of green in it. i think he was just trying to get up the rest of it.. the poor baby .. i'll keep a close watch. thank u<br /><br />I FORGOT TO ASK YOU, HOW MUCH PEPCID?
You are very welcome. You may want to use a bland diet for the next 24 hours. Boiled chicken and rice or baby food chicken or turkey works well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how much pepcid shall i give him>?
1/4 of a 10 mg tablet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i disolve in water and then give it to him with a syringe?

Yes if you have to but it is more effective if you let the stomach break down the pill.

Make sure you get the original pepcid and not extra strength or pepcid complete

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks sweetie, i really appreciate your help, like u wouldnt believe. scared me to death!! :( love my babies ... no more flowers in this house! ever! ;)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi candy, i gave him the pepcid.... question is how often can i give it to him?
They can have it every 12 hours but I would not expect him to need it beyond 24 hours
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
candy did u get my question abt the "Loperamide" 2ml? i have it here from the vet last week for them.. i keep it in the house just in case. should i give it to him... he looks so sad and you can totally tell he's upset. I had to disolve the pepcide cuz he kept spitting out the quarter of the tablet i gave him... i just wanna help him feel better :(
I would stick with the pepcid for now if he has any additional vomiting then the Lopermide may help. The pepcid should help in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh ok, cuz the bottle says "for diareaha" and he's got it bad :( but i'll wait.. he doesnt seem any better from the pepcid yet thou. Its been about 45min . what does that help with? just settle his stomach? will it help with the diareaha and vomitting as well?

It will settle the stomach and help with the vomiting.

We do not normally use this medication in cats for diarrhea or any other reasons due to the risk of adverse reaction, so I can not advice on the use of this.If he has had this in the past then it should not hurt

Read more here

I personally would try adding some rice to the food, you can also add 1 teaspoon of metamucil to the food or 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin. Increasing the fiber will help firm the stool.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you candy.. one last question, how do i know the difference between him being sleepy or him being lathargic? Its hard to tell... i just know right now he's got his little eyes closed and his head tilted down :( I just wanna know at point would i rush him to the vet if god forbid something happened
If you wake him up and he is not really responsive ,he will not get up and walk around or stumbles when walking you should then consider having him seen by a vet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you candy xo ((((hugs))))
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
candy why did i get charged 19 dollars? Im an unlimited monthly member? can u please fix this :(

PS: Joey is better :) the pepcid worked

I am so glad Joey is feeling better, the Pepcid normally works very well.

I have no idea how any of the billing works, I believe if you are on a subscription then you should not be charged when pressing accept. Since I do not know how this works for sure I will send a request to customer service for them to look at it for you.

I am sorry for any inconvenience. If you do not hear back from them soon please let me know so I can try to help.

Edited by CandyR on 2/13/2011 at 3:16 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, all i know is that i got a transaction receipt in my email and it said 19.00. this happened once before too... and the expert took care of it. but i'll try to email them ... thank u very much
No you do not have to email them I am going to try to do it for you I just wanted to let you know that if it is not fixed to let me know so I could follow up on it for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh ok, thank u so much Candy but i just emailed them too, im sorry. i hope i didnt screw you up now .. i dont know why this happened again. so strange. im on an automated reaccuring payment... you were wonderful and if they ask i will make sure to mention it

but yes plesae email them, they seem to respond quicker to the experts . thank u . Laughing

You did not mess anything up I did email them already as well, I am sure they will get it taken care of for you.

I am on everyday if you ever need help again feel free to ask for me by putting my name in your question line.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok cuz i just noticed they may have charged me twice .... look at your feedbacks. both my comments say $19.00 was charged :( I love ya but not that much! lol kidding... you are awesome! Please if you talk to them, have them check all transactions .. thanx Candy and Joey thanks u too :) He just ate alittle bland food and is getting back to normal thanks to you and Pepcid ;) Have a beautiful Valentines Day
I does look like you hit accept twice that is not a problem they can fix that right away. I will let them know that is what has happened
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh ok, cool. i just got a email from them already asking me when the transaction took place lol I thought if i hit "accept" it just means that we are done with the conversation? no? then i continued cuz i forgot to ask u about how often to take the pepcid.... hmmmm so odd. what does accept mean then?

It means you accept my answer but you only need to press it once. Its only after you press accept that the expert gets paid.

This is an easy fix do not worry.

Best wishes and give Joey a good pet for me

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok im sure they'll take care of it. i actually hit it twice cuz you helped me twice... and i wanted you to get paid :) well you have a good night and im sure everything will be ok. thank u again candy.. you are a wonderful vet. if it werent for you, i dont what would have happened to my baby joey (((( hugs )))) Go to bed tonight knowing that you just helped save another animal.. what a wonderful feeling! :)

Knowing I am able to help is what keeps me going. I am not a vet but I have been a vet tech for 23 years.

You have a great night to and tell Joey I am glad he is feeling better and no more eating moms flowers.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi candy, just wanted to let you know that Joey is super sad this morning. ... i think he's not feeling well again :( i just gave him another dose of pepcid so maybe he'll feel better like he did last night. Im worried thou. all the vets by me are closed today... just the emergency vet that will cost me 125 just to walk in and im on disablitily and dont have that kind of money. Is it normal for Joey to still be upset since the pepcid wore off last night? any recommendations?
Has he eaten for you today
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no but he usually doesnt....they have Lifes Abundance Dry food at all times.. he doesnt like wet for some reason. He is a picky eater so he has food whenever he wants it cuz he eats like a little bird. a couple of kibbles of dry and he's done. but after i gave him the pepcid last night, he ate alittle. The bland wet food i gave him. i really thought he was 85% back to normal last night. now today he's "sad" again... i think its his stomach still so i just gave him more pepcid. i should see a change in him in a few minutes hopefully, but when is this gonna pass? I feel so bad :(

This can take up to 24 hours for his stomach to calm down. The pepcid will help try to offer some of the bland diet or some baby food in about 30 minutes.

Let me know how he is doing as the day progresses. If he is not better by tomorrow he may have to be seen by the vet to be sure he did not swallow a large piece of the stem that is causing problems.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks Candy, I did notice when he threw up yesterday... when I told you it was all green, I didnt see any pieces of anything. for lack of a better term it just looked like guacamole sauce. thick. so maybe ur right .. maybe theres a piece in his belly :( ok i'll keep a close eye on him. in another 12 hrs if he's still so so, i'll give him more pepcid and then tomorrow take him over to the family vet. :( thanks for everything. i'll keep u posted