Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

Just found one little black worm-like thing when my cat was

Just found one little black worm-like thing when my cat was sitting on my lap, it was roughly around the size of a grain of rice. We had flea problems, but we sprayed and washed just about every place we know our animals (we also have a dog) gets to, bathed both and put flea control medicine on them both. We also just applied a dewormer just in case.

But what is this thing I found?
Hi there.

I think it's probably a tapeworm segment (they are usually white in color but may be black or brown if covered by feces). The most common type of dog/cat tapeworm is carried by fleas and when a flea is ingested, the animal is infected with tapeworms. They are not contagious to other cats/dogs or humans but if fleas were in the environment, it's possible that all animals were exposed to tapeworms.

So, you'll need a deworming medication effective for tapeworms (you can find these at pet stores) and you'll need to continue strict flea control of all the animals in the house, even those that don't go outside.

Here is a link for more information: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=562

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have other questions or need more information!