Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My cat cries all the time now. Shes always begging for food.

My cat cries all the time now. She's always begging for food. And I'll giver her a can of her favorite wet food. But she only eats a little and then follows me around like she hasn't eaten in weeks. She drinks a lot but doesn't have bowl movements daily
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christian K. replied 3 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

• Is she losing weight?
  • Does she ever have any vomiting or diarrhea?
  • Does she urinate more than normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She's always been a little girl, but as she's gotten older I would say shes a little lighter and she walks like a possum, her rear is higher than her chest

She has vomited liquid once a month or so sometimes not for months
She doesnt seem to be urinating more than normal

Thanks for the information. At her age I tend to think of several more common conditions that can cause the symptoms you've described:

• Hyperthyroidism- This is caused by a tumor in the thyroid gland that causes overproduction of thyroid hormone. It causes a cat to have a very high metabolism. The tumor does not spread to other parts of the body. Symptoms that can occur are eating with weight loss, vomiting, increased thirst and urination, diarrhea, fast heart rate and heart diseases. It is a very treatable condition with medication or radiation treatment. Diagnosis is by bloodwork. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/cats/hyperthyroidism/page1.aspx

• Diabetes- Diabetes is a lack of control of blood sugar. The blood sugar becomes very high. The symptoms are weight loss, increased urination and thirst, more prone to infections, occasional vomiting and eventually loss of appetite and weakness. Treatment is usually a diet change and insulin injections. It is diagnosed with bloodwork and sometimes a urinalysis. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/cats/diabetes-in-cats/page1.aspx

• Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI)- The pancreas helps digest food. When it is not functioning well then the cat appears malnourished. It can be diagnosed with specific bloodwork and is very treatable with lifelong enzyme supplementation. Here's a link:
    http://www.petplace.com/cats/exocrine-pancreatic-insufficiency-in-cats-epi/page1.aspx

• Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)- Inflammation of the wall of the intestine will cause a decreased capacity to digest food leading to malnourishment. Symptoms can include diarrhea, weight loss and vomiting. This is sometimes caused by a food allergy. Diagnosis is usually made with an intestinal biopsy but many times treatment is prescribed to monitor for improvement. Treatment usually involves steroids, diet changes and sometimes antibiotics. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/cats/inflammatory-bowel-disease-in-cats/page1.aspx

Since she isn't urinating more than usual, diabetes and hyperthyroidism are less likely. It's definitely best to have her seen to determine whether any of these condition is is occurring. More than likely your vet will recommend some blood work. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What should I expect to spend on bloodwoek?

Basic blood work that would also check for thyroid problems would cost around 100 to 130$ in my area (Tennessee) but you're best bet would be to call your vet. Costs can vary throughout the country.

Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has never ever had diarrhea and shes never had a loss of appetite. If anything she acts like she's always hungry, and will probably eat pounce treats 24/7 if I let her. She spends a good portion of the day sleeping but is up most of the night playing or just walking around and will occasionally cry. Whenever she cries shes usually just sitting in the middle of a room by herself, almost like she just wants to hear herself. Another thing I just remembered is that sometimes when she has a bowel movement shell have a piece of poop still stuck half way out. She won't drag her ass but shell just walk around and turn to try and lick at it
Any of the conditions I was talking about would cause an increase in appetite so those are still very possible. Hyperthyroidism can also cause changes in behavior. It also sounds like she could be dealing with some constipation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Constipation is what I suspected too. I thought of maybe adding a little olive oil to her food.

Canned pumpkin would be a better choice. The fiber is very good for constipation and safe. You can try a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon daily.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Canned pumpkin? The stuff I use to make pumpkin pie?
Yup, that's the stuff.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks

You're welcome. Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
blood work came back with Liver pathology. He said that 3 enzymes were up, and he would like to do an ultrasound and a blood test called PLI. This cat is actually 17 years old, so to spend 300 on an ultra sound and another 137 for a blood test and some other needle test he mentioned for another 130 it's just not worth spending that kind of money to confirm the cat has something that's not very treatable anyway.

He suspects it's either the liver, GI, or even the pancreas.

He suggested a product called Sam'E for now, but the outlook doesn't look great, and I'm ok with that, I just don't want the cat to be in pain or suffering.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
being I'm not going to invest anymore money into my cat, are there any changes I should make in her diet to might be helpful? she doesn't seem to eat much solid food, she'll lick all the gravy off the canned food, but doesn't eat much of the solids which is probably why she doesn't have as many bowl movements.
I'm glad you've figured out what is causing her problems. Typically liver disease would cause a cat to act sicker but of course that isn't always the case as you've seen. There aren't any over the counter diets that will be greatly helpful but any organic or natural diet would be better than a processed one. You can find those diets in specialty pet food stores or perhaps a larger pet store like Petco. There is a diet made to help the liver made by Hill's Science diet called L/D. I would recommend trying that diet. You can ask your vet about it since it isn't available in any stores. The good news is that Hill's will return your money if she doesn't eat it.