Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My cat has a bump under her chin--its some kind of growth--but

My cat has a bump under her chin--it's some kind of growth--but the bump does not seem to bother her (you can touch it and she doesn't react, and she doesn't scratch it). The bump is smooth, about 1/4" to 3/8" across, and has been there for over a year. It might still be growing (I can't tell). What do you think I am dealing with here--can this be a serious condition that needs immediate attention?

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I am sorry your girl has you worried,

Can you tell me how big this bump is?

Is it under the jaw line or on the chin itself?

How long has it been there?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The bump is 1/4" or 3/8" across. It is under the chin (if I understand your question here--not sure what "under the jaw line" might encompass). It has been there for more than a year, and I think it might still be growing, but I can't tell. She is eating and drinking normally and she is very healthy and playful, not sick in any way.

Thanks for your help with this!

I am sorry for the delay I am having some internet connection issues.

With out seeing the lump I can not tell you for sure what this is. In the chin area it may be a cyst from a clogged oil gland, however, in an older cat cancer is always a possibility.

I do not think this is something you have to rush to the vet for but I would have it looked at. If your vet can not tell by looking at it they can do a fine needle aspirant which is where they remove a small amount of cells from the lump with a small needle to view under the microscope.

Here is information on the most common lumps and bumps on cats and their causes

I hope all goes well with your girl.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is the cyst that you mention (where an oil gland gets clogged) also called "feline acne"? When I looked at the link you sent, with the information on various lumps and bumps, that was the only category that seemed possibly to apply here.

This often goes along with feline acne. This may start as small pimple type lumps which is referred to as acne and progress to a larger cyst.

Here are some common types of cysts

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

I see you relisted as an incomplete answer, there is absolutely no way possible to give you a for sure diagnosis over the internet and to say that I or anyone else can say for sure in this type of forum would be doing a disservice to you and your cat.

I explained that possible causes and that often in this area it is due to a blocked or clogged gland.

Depending on where this lump is exactly this may be a lymph node or a problem with a tooth both of which would cause you cat to not feel well and in most cases a loss of appetite or decrease in appetite. You indicated your cat was eating and drinking and other then the lump was fine.

I explained the only way to know for sure would be to test the lump. You asked if this was something that needed immediate attention. I explained no it does not need immediate(which to me would be emergency care) but needs to be looked at.

Anyone who tells you that they can say for sure what this is by description and location alone would not be being honest, even your vet may not know just by looking and touching it, they most likely will need to test it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I said the answer was incomplete because I didn't understand the link to feline acne. You said the cyst that you describe "goes along with" feline acne. That could mean a lot of different things--I wasn't sure what you were trying tosay. And it didn't answer my question about whether the cyst could be itself feline acne.

But I can tell that you feel you've explained as much as anyone can in this sort of forum, and I thank you for that. I will take my wonderful cat to the vet very soon!

Ok, Often this starts as feline acne which are small pimple like bumps and can progress into a cyst. Be sure you are not using plastic food or water bowls as this can be a common cause of feline acne and cyst development on the chin.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you again.
You are very welcome, I hope this turns out to be nothing more then a cyst or other benign lump