Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Can I give my cat activated charcoal

Can I give my cat activated charcoal
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. What condition is your cat suffering from that you want to use the activated charcoal?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am assuming it ingested a piece of crack since we caught some boys outside a friends house doing just that. I did not see the cat eat anythin. She is just extremely hyper and is drinking milk and water like crazy. I put her in her kennnel to calm her down
Thanks for the reply,

There is no reason why you should not give your cat activated charcoal, this is often done where toxins are suspected. However in this case where crack cocaine is suspected you would be better to take the cat to a vet without delay even if this means using an ER vet.

Here is a link to an accurate web site which covers the use of activated charcoal in animals in depth : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please understand we are hours from a vet out in the country and my nephew has not returned with the car. For now the only hope is to treat her here. Are there any over the counter mess she can take, can I give her milk water.or food. Any suggestion will help. It has been 7 hours and she is still a little jittery but is alet. She seems to be tiring out a little
Hello again,

In that case all you can do is to support her until the drug works it's way out of your cat's system. Activated charcoal given as per the instructions in the link I sent would be a good move and lots of fluids such as milk would be fine as well.

Try and keep here comfortable and reassured in a darkened room with minimum stimuli and let her sleep it off. Get to a vet later if you can though as there is no specific over the counter antidote.

Good luck,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Need to treat her her the kids took the car and have not returned. Tell me what food drink or over the counter meds I can give her. It's our. Only option
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has been over 8 hrs. And she's resting hard. Ido u think ahesout of the woods
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
after 9 hours will she be ok and out of her system
Hello again,

There is not much you can do in terms of over the counter meds, activated charcoal as we said before and fluids orally. Sorry there is just nothing else ... Hopefully the drug will work it's way out of your cat's system given time, the time it takes to do this would be variable though, however if your cat is improving after twelve hours that would be encouraging though ...