Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My cat seems to be walking funny in his rear legs...this has

My cat seems to be walking funny in his rear legs...this has been going on for a couple of days. I just noticed when he wanted to get up on the bed he used his claws and climbed up instead of jumping like usual. I petted him and felt around his lower back and hind legs to see if he showed any signs of pain, and I didn't notice him acting like he was in pain. He's always been a very very skittish cat though, so when he pulled his paws away it wasn't any different from his usual behavior. He's just over 8 years old and had blood work a couple of months ago...the only thing abnormal was a high glucose, and the vet said to get a urine sample to confirm it (which I haven't yet been able to do because of the aforementioned skittishness). Should I take him to the emergency room? My vet won't be open again until Saturday. Again because of the skittishness it's very hard to take him to the vet and he usually has to be sedated.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Is your cat an indoors only cat, or does he go out?

2. Is he otherwise bright, alert and eating?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He's an indoors only cat. Otherwise he's bright and alert, and as far as I know he's still eating although I haven't actually seen him at the dish tonight (I wasn't watching the whole time). I think I spooked him by trying to look at his paws too closely, so he's hiding from me now.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. The most likely thing that is going on here is that your cat has some kind of back pain, I have seen quite a few like this over the years, perhaps a minor " Slipped disk type lesion " This can happen due to trauma such as jumping from high objects but it can also happen spontaneously for no particular cause.

2. The best thing to do is to keep your cat s quiet as possible and have him examined by your vet at the next opportunity. If this is the diagnosis then many of these cases can be treated with anti-inflammatory drugs.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. My vet is not open tomorrow, and I'd really like to get him looked at tomorrow. Do you guess that an x-ray is in order? If so I will be sure to take him somewhere with an x-ray.
Hello again,

While I cannot comment on your specific case without having examined your cat I can tell you that I have always taken a very common sense approach if I could when treating my patients.

With cases like yours where I suspected the back was involved to a minor level I would suggest to the client to rest the cat as much as possible for a week or so perhaps in a large wire cage and dispense some anti-inflammatory meds. These would free the cat from pain to some extent and could also reduce pressure and inflammation on the back lesion.

A common sense approach like the above can sometimes resolve things as it would with human back pain but if this fails to work after a week or so or your cat deteriorates at all then your next step should be an X-ray.