Anna, Cat Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Thirty years of cat ownership. Writer for cat/pet magazines. B.A. in biology. Vet assistant.

I have a ragdoll cat that meows a lot! Especially between 2-5am.

I have a ragdoll cat that meows a lot! Especially between 2-5am. I have tried to feed it, give it a drink (as it will only drink from a running tap) to get it to sleep but it just walks around meowing. This happens during the day as well.

Do you have any ideas about how to stop the cat meowing so much?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, there probably isn't a way to stop the cat from meowing. Some cats are simply more vocal than others. I'm sure this is most bothersome to you at night when you're trying to sleep. When it happens between 2 and 5 a.m., it may be that the cat feels a little insecure and is trying to wake you up for some attention. It may help to confine the cat to a smaller area at night with a soft blanket or a covered cat hideout to sleep in. Any room with a door you can close - such as a bathroom, a large closet, or a spare bedroom- might work. Before you retire for the night, put Rufus in his room with a litter pan, food, and water. You then know he has everything he needs. You can also try a Feliway dispenser. Feliway is a cat pheromone that calms and soothes cats. It can eb bought as a plug-in dispenser or a spray. The combination of small cozy quarters and the Feliway may be enough to solve the problem. If you don't have a room where you can close the door, you could buy one of the large cat cages with a couple of floors in it as a place for him to sleep without bothering you.

It would be best if Rufus' sleeping quarters are in a part of the house where you can't hear him. That way, you can sleep, even if he keeps meowing. By getting up and responding to him with food and water, you're unintentionally encouraging him to meow. It would be best to ignore him.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope one of the above solutions will work out for you.

Edited by Anna on 11/14/2010 at 6:14 AM EST