Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

How can you tell if a kitten has a punctured lung. He got

Customer Question

How can you tell if a kitten has a punctured lung. He got in our back yard with our golden retrievers and my female picked him up. What kind of home remedy is there for punctured lung. This happened a few hours ago, my husband raised dogs when he was growing up and suggested we wrap the kitten with ace bandage around his chest. He does seem to be breathing better. Please help with this question. Thank you!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.

If there is truly a punctured lung, then that lung lobe will collapse and the air will leak out around it into the chest cavity compressing the other lungs as well. This is a serious emergency and is life threatening if you don't put a chest tube in to pull that air out and re-inflate the lungs. It's not something that a home remedy would work for. If there is a punctured lung you would see labored breathing, pale/ blue dislocation of the gums and coughing up blood. If he's breathing fairly normal, then there is not likely a lung punctured and it's probably more skin trauma/ rib pain than anything. These will heal on their own.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.