Dr. Scott, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery experience.

My cat cant stand up.

My cat can't stand up.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.
Hello there,

How old is the cat?

How long has this been going on?

Is the cat acting painful?

Are the feet warm or cold?

Are the rear legs affected or all of them?

Does the cat go outside?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Puddy Kat is thirteen. He has had an ear infection for two weeks. He saw the Vet yesterday and was given an injection of cortisone. He started "listing" this afternoon. Now he just wants to sleep -- he cannot stand up. He feet are warm. It is more his rear legs. He is both indoor and outdoor, but mostly indoor.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.
Is there a head tilt?

Is he eating and drinking?

Does he seem in distress? Panting?

Is he on antibiotics for the ear infection?

Does he seem weak or uncoordinated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, his head is tilting to the right. He ate breakfast this a.m., but nothing since. He is not panting -- just very tired. He finished his antibiotics on Tuesday. Yesterday he got new ear drops. He is very weak and uncoordinated.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.
Do the eyes look normal or are they shifting back and forth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His eyes look normal, but the right eye is droopy.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.
The cortisone can cause heart problems in cats with an underlying undiagnosed problem. It can also cause transient diabetes. It should not cause a head tilt. Head tilt can be caused by brain lesions, geriatric vestibular disease, stroke and inner ear infections. The head tilt indicates the balance is off. The eyes will start shifting back and forth when vestibular problems occur. He will not likely eat in this condition but food and water should be kept nearby. If he is not panting, heart problems related to the cortisone should not be the problem. I would keep the cat confined tonight and have your vet examine him first thing in the morning. I would be most suspicious of stroke activity. Most cats get better over time but there is no specific test or treatment for it other than supportive care. Onion-free baby food, chicken or turkey, can be offered if he won't eat on his own. He also needs to be confined so he cannot hurt himself falling down stairs, etc..
Dr. Scott, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery experience.