Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Can cats get arthritis My cat had his paw curled, licking

Can cats get arthritis? My cat had his paw curled, licking it, and I rubbed it until it straightened out. He looked grateful
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I am sorry your little one is not well.

Cats can get arthritis however this is more often seen in older cats or as a result of old injury.

It is possible he has injured the paw in some way. Check the paw well in between the pads to look for any splinters, thorns or injuries.

I would just try to rest him for a few days try to limit his activity if possible no jumping or running for 7-10 days. You can see if he will allow you to hold a warm compress on the paw to see if that helps. Massaging is ok as well.

If he continues to limp I would suggest having him seen by the vet.

I hope your boy is ok,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think it is a thorn or rock. He was limping (holding up) his left leg this last week, and this morning, he was acting like his right paw hurt, and that was the one that looked cramped. I massaged the right foot, not the left. Since both legs/paws seemed affected, I thought of arthritis. He is a large well muscled and thick cat. Could he have jarred his bones? he has been laying around in the house until I throw him outside. Then, he hangs out on the front porch. He used to prowl all over. I know he is young, but he looks part Siamese. He's really a mutt, though. Could the Siamese part (gene pool) be weaker, and cause his bones to be weaker?
Expert:  Candy R. replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

The fact that this kitty is an outdoor kitty I am more suspicious that this is injury related. If he has an injury to the neck this can cause problems in both front legs.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/lameness-in-cats/page2.aspx

If he is a normal prowler it could be due to a fight (feel the legs for any lumps or healing wounds, he could have been hit by a car or injured by another animal or human.

It really would be best if he was seen by the vet.

Arthritis does not show up suddenly and I really do not think weak bones are the problem.

If you can not have him seen he really should be allowed to stay in the house until you are sure he is ok.

Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer