Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats

PLEASE HELP!! My cat keeps licking his genital area tonight,

Customer Question

PLEASE HELP!! My cat keeps licking his genital area tonight, and when he went to the litter box he strained and nothing came out. He also has been drinking alot lately. He is only a year old, and not overweight. I'm worried because I just had a urinary analysis and blood test done 2 months ago, and my vet said he was fine (he prescribed me antibiotics anyway, which I gave him). Do you think this could be a UTI anyway? Should a take him to another vet for a second opinion? THANK YOU!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

If the Kitty has gone to the litter box and is not producing urine, this is an emergeny. You will need to get your boy into the ER Vet asap. A male cat that cannot produce urine is blocked. If this is not cleared, the urine can back up causing the bladder to rupture and cause a septic infection in the body. If you need to locate an ER Vet, please supply a city and state and I will try to locate one for you. This is a serious emergency if he cannot urinate. Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I do want to give you this site as it goes over. FLUTD which is Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease. This link goes over Diet, PH and what will need to be done to help your boy. I am always concerned when a male cat gets blocked, because time is of the essence. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the info!! I'm going to get him to the vet ASAP.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

No problem! I am truely worried when a male cat cannot go, but strains in the litter box. Please let me know how he does. If you need an ER Vet I will be happy to locate one for you with the City, state and Zipcode. Please do not forget to press the accept button If my information has been helpful, as that is how I get compensated for my time. Joan