Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats

Our cat is constipated. Can we give her castor oil Is there

Our cat is constipated. Can we give her castor oil? Is there something else natural we can give her that would work as well or better? We want to run out and get something right away. She is 19 years old in human years. The constipation has been happening off and on for about the last 6-8 months. We started feeding her a mix of well cooked vegetables (potato or sweet potato, zucchini or yellow squash, carrots) and fresh fish or chicken (also cooked). This has helped but it has now happened again. We massage her intestines as well and you can feel the poop in there but this is not helping this time. Help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Terri is not on, but I am a Vet Tech and would be happy to assist you, if that is okay with you. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We had a good experience with Terri once before which is why we were willing to pay $38. We may not be willing to pay as much to you unless we feel like it is a really good answer. Just letting you know in advance.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I am not Terri, but will certainly try to give you a good answer. Since I am a Veterinary technician I want to recommend having senior blood panel to rule out any underlying condition like renal failure or IBD (irritable bowel disease). The first thing I would like you to try with your Kitty will be adding some Metamucil to the diet. It is a natural fiber that can be put right on top of the food. It is flavorless and will not have to be disguised to hide the flavor. You can put a teaspoon full on the food when you feed once a day. You can also add some Canned Pumpkin (not pie filling) to the diet as it is also a High fiber food which is natural, so it is easy on the stomach. If these do not work, there is always a small dose of Mineral oil, but you need to be cautious, since oils can be aspirated into the lungs and cause pneumonia. The dose for mineral oil for an older cat would be 1/2 cc per 10 pounds of body weight. You will want to be sure your kitty gets plenty of fluids as this helps with constipation. You can add the mineral oil right into the food as it is tasteless. I hope this answer is to your satisfaction as I have tried to cover all ways to help with the constipation. Joan

Edited by Joan on 10/1/2010 at 11:24 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Because our kitty was getting worse we went to a vet this morning. It is funny now but as soon as we got to the vet she started pooping, even before the vet saw her, so by the time he saw her she was feeling much better. He thinks the constipation is because we were giving her too much fish with the vegetable mix, and recommended chicken instead. It is his opinion that fish is not natural for most cats and the fish oils also put stress on the kidneys. He also recommended some type of laxative paste that we can give to her that she will lick if put on her lips. After some consideration we decided to use this even though we would prefer a more natural product.The other thing he did was give her subcutaneous liquids as she was somewhat dehydrated from the constipation ordeal. We had a simple blood test done that was just for the kidneys only and it came out OK. I appreciate your response and the idea of Metamucil is something to consider. Would you accept $20 for your Reply?
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I am so glad you sought help in that serious situation. I would be happy to accept whatever you offer and hope you feel my suggestions and assistance was equaled to what you had gotten from Terri. Please write to [email protected] and they can change the amount for you. I am just happy to have been of help. Do not rule out using the Canned Pumpkin. I imagine the Vet gave you Lactulose or Laxatone for the Kitty. Best wishes for continued improvement! Joan

Edited by Joan on 10/3/2010 at 3:20 AM EST