Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

What does it mean that your cat has cold paws

Customer Question

What does it mean that your cat has cold paws?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

Are all the paws cold

I would love to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you

How is your cat acting

Is it eating and drinking urinating and defecating normally

What color are the gums

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Everything is normally except cold paws
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 years ago.

If he is acting normal eating drinking urinating and passing stool as normal I would not be concerned.The temperature of the paws can vary.

A cats appetite is the best indicator of health. If a cat is sick they will not eat.

NOW if only 1 or 2 paws are cold, the cats is not eating and in most cases laterally recumbent(meaning laying on their side unable or unwilling to get up)then this is cause for concern.

Cats can develop blood clots that travel(most commonly) to the back legs reducing or preventing blood flow to one or both of the back legs. This is more common in older cats

Cold paws can also be seen in some cats with anemia or severe infection. Check the gums if they are nice and pink then I would not be concerned about anemia. If there were some sort of infection in the body I would not expect to be seeing him eat.

If your cat stops eating, drinking, develops diarrhea, seems painful, or lethargic you should have him seen by your vet.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns