Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario

Fiona Just a quick note - its unnaturally quiet around

Customer Question

Fiona

Just a quick note - it's unnaturally quiet around the house now. None of the other kitties wander around like they used to....and there's no sounds of "aah-aah" & knowing Daisy's giving somebody her usual "what-for"

Sorry, I'm just a little lost right now. Many thanks for your help.

Paula
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Oh, Paula....

I can sense the terrible hole that Daisy has left behind in your lives...she was so very loved, and such an important member of your family....

She may not have had the full quantity of life that we would have hoped for, but she definitely had a full quality of life, filled with love and happiness

((HUGS))

Fiona
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Fiona - about Daisy, but first...

Sorry not here a few days. Put up w/severe DJD C2 to C5; forward vertegrae slippage; physical therapy; e-stim; ultrasound therapy; etc since Aug 2008. Worsened. Had surgery Fri am/home Sat pm. Neurosurgeon (thru front of neck) replaced destroyed discs w/some "stuff", repositioned vertebrae, single-level fusion (plate/some screws) at C4-C5. Horrible pain in throat, neck, shoulders, can't swallow, etc. severe nausea (on valium & percoset, but I asked to be taken off). No food Thurs evening 'til Sun morning: a soft boiled egg/1 unbuttered toast/water. Yuk! Very hurtful to swallow; very weak & shaky. They say it will get better!

The final report on my Daisy....

Physical examinatin/findings

At presentation - severe depression/lethargy, recumbent, pale mucous membranes, 7% dehydrated. Palpable splenomegaly and abdominal lymphadenomegaly with progression in size of the peripheral lymph nodes.

Procedures performed

1) EC8: marked hypoglycemia, increase in BUN, metabolic acidosis with respiratory compensation.

2) PCV: 16%

3) Peripheral blood smear: marked increase in numbers of lymphoblasts with mitotic figures noted. Increase numbers of macrophages, normal to reduced neutrophils, reduced platelets

Assessment

1) T-cell lymphoma; acute lymphoblastic leukemia blast crisis after 2 doses of vincristine/prednisone.

2) Resolved constipation suspected to be secondary to the vincristine.

3) Hypoglycemia: consider sepsis.

4) Anemia: likely anemia of chronic disease and secondary to bone marrow infiltration.

Summary

1) IV catheters were placed and Normosol R with 5% dextrose were administered in addition to 214mg Timentin IV.

2) Once the leukemia was identified, I informed that the prognosis was grave. Heroic efforst were to be needed to obtain remission and remission would likely be short-lived. Therefore euthanasia was performed with the Courchaines being present. A private cremation was performed.

This is so hard to come to gribs with because in less than 6 weeks she was gone. You know, whether long, drawn-out or quick...it's equally devastating. But I do take some comfort in that she did not suffer over a long period of time. If that makes any sense. She'll be ready in her very own rose marble urn on Thursday. Then she'll take her place on top of the fireplace, next to Mr. Pie, Skeeze and Anthony..... to look out the window over the lake.

Really hurting to hold my head up, so I must rest some more. I can't tell you enough how much your knowledge, empathy and compassion has meant to me.

{{Hugs}}

Paula

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Paula,

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing and the nausea. How horrible! And to have that on top of your grief, and your responsibilities and concern for your mom.... I really do not know how you do it! I wish there were some way that I could help!

Reading over the medical record for Daisy, it is very clear that you made the right decision at the right time for her. I was really hoping that Daisy was going to be one of the kitties who responds so well to chemo and beats the odds. I know we were all hoping for that.. and I am so sorry that it did not work out that way.

You are right, it is comforting to know that she did not suffer. All any of us can ever hope for is to enjoy life, to not suffer and to go quickly when the time comes. Few of us are that lucky.

I really hope that you are feeling better, Paula. If anyone ever deserved a holiday and good health, it is you!

((HUGS))

Fiona
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fiona,

Had one of my numerous "duh" moments recently when I saw I had a balance in my account and wondered why. When I asked the folks at justanswer they said I have to click on the green accept button for you to get paid. With my partially functioning brain, I finally remembered that I clicked Reply whenever I responded back to you. It kept the account open so we could continue to communicate..... but it didn't get you paid! Hopefully I can get it to work this time!

Daisy-girl is in her little marble rose-colored urn on the fireplace, looking out over the lake with Pie-Pie (gone only a year), Little Skeeze (12/2000), and my beautiful Anthony (8/2002). When I look up there, I experience breath-taking shock and dismay - then a bottomless pit of sadness and loss at seeing her name (and Mr. Pie).

My brain doesn't completely accept she's gone. Instead, it occupies itself with all my never-ending, morning-to-night, day-to-day responsibilities that repeat themselves like a broken record. My heart can't bury itself in busy-ness. It's only defense is a pseudo-shield of forgetfullness - but even that cracks at the slightest provocation, and her loss (along with my Pie-Baby) comes pouring through me. The only thing I can do then is to acknowledge and face head-on that harsh reality, go off to a quiet part of the house, look at her pictures and cry without holdling back my grief until there's no more tears. Until I can once again smile because of who she was and how much she showed me she loved me.

And because 8 years ago, I was given a gift....a beautiful gift of two 2-week old kittens. And because out of all the billions of people in the world, it was I who was given the priviledge of raising these babies...... these wonderful creatures of God!.....Daisy and Lady.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. If I need help again, I will go to justanswer and ask for you. But if you ever decide to leave, I hope you let Customer know.

{{Hugs}}

Paula

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Paula,

I have not been on my computer much in the last few days as I have been working at the vet clinic so much. It's been a busy week! so, my apologies for the delay in response. I am only now sitting down to reply to my friends and family (who have all started to think that perhaps I was abducted by aliens).

Daisy, Lady, Mr.Pie, Little Skeeze and Anthony....5 of the luckiest cats on the planet! These fur-babies chose well when they chose you as their companion and care-taker. I know that they knew love, and more peace and contentment than most humans know in their lives!

((HUGS)) to you too...

Thinking of you,
Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Fiona,

Hope all is well with you and your family. I'm sure you're busy helping others with their pet issues and no doubt giving them awesome support!

Busy doesn't begin to describe my life. Thanksgiving usually starts my holiday but this year it's a little bittersweet. Was so down I couldn't even cook this year and my poor family had to suffer through eating out! I'm trying to dig deep to find my Christmas spirit, but it's taken me 4 days to complete less than a quarter of the decorating. Just can't seem to get myself organized. <sigh> Radio stations starting to play holiday songs so maybe that will help. I haven't been on my AOL lately so I've got over 200 e-mails to go through!

Weather has been awesome (high 70's - low 80's) but I know the cold is lurking just around the corner!

{{HUGS}} for a wonderful, safe holiday.

Fondly,

P(aula)C(our)HAINMOM

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Paula,
I hope that you are coping with your busy life and your responsibilities for care-giving, as well as your losses. It is a tough time of year...I always find that I feel the loss of my loved ones most keenly at this time of year, as I remember times when they were with me...

I hope you find joy in this season to offset the pain with the losses you have suffered.

We are getting some Christmas lights up this weekend, and moving living room furniture around in preparation for a tree. I can't believe there are only 2 more Saturdays before Christmas! YIkes!

Best wishes to you and to your family,
((HUGS))
Fiona
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fiona -

Molly, Mattie, Minnie, Mouse, Lady, Sassy and Frankie said... "Mommy, make sure you send our 'kitty kisses' and best wishes to Dr. Fi for a happy, safe 2011" !

(Ditto) - Paula

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Paula,
Thank you!!

Best wishes to you and your family (furry and non-furry) for health and happiness in 2011! :-)

I am really enjoying the year so far! ;-)

Fiona
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fiona - wait....wasn't Christmas just a few weeks ago? I blinked & now it's the 2nd week in March and ready for spring down here in Jacksonville, Fl.

I've been trying to make time for family & friends on facebook, & I've gone back many generations in my family research on ancestry.com. My Molly, Mattie, Minnie, Mouse, Lady, Sassy & Frankie still rule the roost, but there is a void where my Mr. Pie & Daisy used to be. I do try not to dwell on that. On the Petgrief.com site I wrote their Rainbow Bridge tributes which was somewhat carthartic. <sigh>

I'm still Mom's caregiver 24/7 & she's doing pretty good....considering tomorrow the 10th, she turns 84 - & my dad 85 on the 12th! And as of January 23rd, I'm officially a "Medicare" now"!

I do hope you & your family are all well. I think of you often & the priceless advice & compassion you gave me through my Mr. Pie & Daisy crises. Knock on wood, the kitties are all ok, but if I ever need advice, you'll be my trusted advisor!

Paula

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Paula,
I know exactly what you mean! The months are zipping by... yikes, have to get ready for income tax season now! Then, it'll be spring and the school year will be winding down. It really does fly by!

I'm so glad all your kitties are enjoying health at the moment. Our family, both human and furry, all seem to be doing well, though we are all looking forward to OUR spring arriving (another month at least).

If you could set up a fan and blow some of your warm air up north, that would be great! ;-)

Fiona
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dear Dr. Fiona and greetings from the other side of Niagara Falls!

As usual, always a madhouse in the Courchaine household. Hope you and your family are doing just as well! :-)

May have questions shortly about 2 of my fur-babies....so stay tuned!

Regards,

Paula

PS: Still missing Mr. Pie and Daisy, but their names still come up a lot!

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 2 years ago.
Paula,
Sorry to take so long to reply - I have been working 12h days this week and barely catching 6 hours sleep a night, so have not been on the computer. Things here are great! Busy, but really enjoying the summer!

We are headed off to Ottawa next week, and I won't have internet access there...but I'll be back on the 22nd.

I said goodbye to one of my cats last weekend, and although I know that I did everything possible for him, it was still so hard to say goodbye. I know that his name will come up a lot,too as he lives on in our memories....

Fiona
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh Fiona, I'm so sorry about the loss of your kitty. What was his name? I'll ask my Mr. Pie to look after him! <sigh>

Sounds like you're all off to the wilderness next week - have a happy, safe trip.

It's nice knowing you're still on the other side of this machine! Mollie, Mattie, Minnie, Mouse, Lady, Sassy and Frankie said "Hi Auntie Fiona"! (Me too!)

Paula

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 2 years ago.
Paula,
Our kitty was Gordon (better known as Gordie Gordie Fat Boy as he was once 25lbs). He was an incredibly tolerant cat and never raised any objections when the children were babies and crawled all over him. I do hope that he and Mr.Pie are chasing butterflies somewhere together!

It sounds like you have a full house there with Mollie, Mattie, Minnie, Mouse, Lady, Sassy and Frankie! :-) Head scritches to all!

Fiona