Dr. Fiona - about Daisy, but first...
Sorry not here a few days. Put up w/severe DJD C2 to C5; forward vertegrae slippage; physical therapy; e-stim; ultrasound therapy; etc since Aug 2008. Worsened. Had surgery Fri am/home Sat pm. Neurosurgeon (thru front of neck) replaced destroyed discs w/some "stuff", repositioned vertebrae, single-level fusion (plate/some screws) at C4-C5. Horrible pain in throat, neck, shoulders, can't swallow, etc. severe nausea (on valium & percoset, but I asked to be taken off). No food Thurs evening 'til Sun morning: a soft boiled egg/1 unbuttered toast/water. Yuk! Very hurtful to swallow; very weak & shaky. They say it will get better!
The final report on my Daisy....
At presentation - severe depression/lethargy, recumbent, pale mucous membranes, 7% dehydrated. Palpable splenomegaly and abdominal lymphadenomegaly with progression in size of the peripheral lymph nodes.
1) EC8: marked hypoglycemia, increase in BUN, metabolic acidosis with respiratory compensation.
2) PCV: 16%
3) Peripheral blood smear: marked increase in numbers of lymphoblasts with mitotic figures noted. Increase numbers of macrophages, normal to reduced neutrophils, reduced platelets
1) T-cell lymphoma; acute lymphoblastic leukemia blast crisis after 2 doses of vincristine/prednisone.
2) Resolved constipation suspected to be secondary to the vincristine.
3) Hypoglycemia: consider sepsis.
4) Anemia: likely anemia of chronic disease and secondary to bone marrow infiltration.
1) IV catheters were placed and Normosol R with 5% dextrose were administered in addition to 214mg Timentin IV.
2) Once the leukemia was identified, I informed that the prognosis was grave. Heroic efforst were to be needed to obtain remission and remission would likely be short-lived. Therefore euthanasia was performed with the Courchaines being present. A private cremation was performed.
This is so hard to come to gribs with because in less than 6 weeks she was gone. You know, whether long, drawn-out or quick...it's equally devastating. But I do take some comfort in that she did not suffer over a long period of time. If that makes any sense. She'll be ready in her very own rose marble urn on Thursday. Then she'll take her place on top of the fireplace, next to Mr. Pie, Skeeze and Anthony..... to look out the window over the lake.
Really hurting to hold my head up, so I must rest some more. I can't tell you enough how much your knowledge, empathy and compassion has meant to me.