UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BvetMed MRCVS since 2004 involving a high feline medical and sugical caseload. Also acupuncturist.
7313698

What is a Toyger How much

What is a Toyger?How much?
Category: Cat
Expert:  UKVETJH replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
UKVETJH :

Hi there and thanks for your question. I am just preparing your answer and will send it shortly.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok.Please answer my question.
Expert:  UKVETJH replied 4 years ago.

The 'Toyger' is a developing 'breed' of cat that is being bred to have aesthetic features of a mini tiger but actually is a short-haired domestic cat. They have extended stripe patterns on the coat and also 'head lights' or highlighted pale areas around the face and particularly the eyes that again resemble that of a tiger.

They appear to be being bred from domestic short haired cat and also the Bengal cats, and breeders appear to be constant;y striving to breed more and more tiger-like features into these cats. Whether this engineering is detrimental to the health of the cats as a breed I think will remain to be seen.

In terms of price, I can imagine that the cost of a kitten is pretty high, as these guys have been bred very specifically for their looks. The ones that I have sen during my research have been mostly in the $1200-$1800 mark. As these cats contain large amounts of Bengal, expect them to be very interactive and intelligent, and need to have lots of attention and stimulation.

UKVETJH, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BvetMed MRCVS since 2004 involving a high feline medical and sugical caseload. Also acupuncturist.