Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice, Veterinarian since 2000

Is tumeric safe for cats

Is tumeric safe for cats ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

This is Dr. Laura and I am happy to assist you.

Yes, tumeric is a safe supplement for cats. There is the potential for an allergic (hypersensitivity) reaction to tumeric, as there is to pretty much any food or medication.

It has a number of clinical actions in feline patients, including anti-inflammatory.

A paste can be applied externally to sores, wounds, brusies, bites, inflamed joints, small tumors. It can also be given orally as a substitue for NSAIDS for pain or injury.

More chronic conditions include chronic anterior uveitis, as an adjunct for cancer treatment or prevention, arthritis, skin disease, liver disease.

Contra-indications: obstruction of the biliary tract, hypersensitivity to turmeric.

A standard feline dosing is 50-100 mg curcumin 4x day, although I would work with your vet on the dosage and treatment.

In addition, if your cat is suffering from stomatitis/gingivitis, as you may be aware, if it cannot be managed with medications, then full-mouth extraction (or all the teeth behind the canine teeth) is the way to go. I know it sounds extreme, but once your cat has recovered from surgery, he/she will never look back, and imagine how wonderful it will be to be pain free. These cats will happily continue to crunch hard food between their gums and eat soft food.

I hope this information helps, and that you are able to manage this frustrating condition.

Dr. Laura