Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat had blood in his saliva, he was making noises like he

My cat had blood in his saliva, he was making noises like he was going to throw up a hairball and then al that came up was a bit of saliva w/ blood in it. It was very red. He is playful and eating, but I have noticed he's lost some weight the last month. He was overweight before but now his weight seems normal - but nonetheless, he is losing weight without any major change in diet.
Submitted: 6 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Is he four years old?
Indoor kitty?
Does he have any dental issues?

What does he eat?
How much weight has he lost in how long?

Has he been on a diet?
Any jaundice?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

HI yes, he has been an indoor kitty his whole life, he is 4 years old. I am not aware that he has any dental issues, i looked at his gums just now and they look very pink.

He eats Proplan dry food and gets 1/4 of a can of wet food in the morning and afternoon, also ProPlan. This has been his regimen for many years. He got chubby at about 2 years but he is losing the weight now, he looks very normal in terms of weight but he did lose it without a change in his diet or eating habits. He eats well still and is active. He has not been on a diet

How can I tell if he has Jaundice?

Thank you for helping me. He's a really awesome kitty.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also I have noticed his slow weight loss in th last 8 months
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Dear Candice,

I am sorry your baby is having trouble.He sounds wonderful!

Jaundice would be obvious because his gums and eye whites would appear yellow.

Blood in his saliva could be due to a dental issue, stomach ulcer, biting his tongue, IBS or swallowing a sharp item.

Check under tongue, roof, cheek pouches and between lips and teeth for any abnormalities.

Weight loss is usually related to hyperthyroid. The cats eats great but the excess thyroid hormone burns up all the calories.

The problem is that this disorder can lead to your baby developing diabetes, high blood pressure and other ailments.

We do have excellent meds for this but is is necessary to do a T4 thyroid blood test.Any other thyroid test can be inaccurate.

It can also be related to renal issues especially if there is excess shedding because the hair becomes very dry.

Stress weakens the immune system and can lead to illness.Dental disease also depresses immunity and sends bacteria into the organs.

Some dental issues can only be diagnosed by radiograph.

For more information on Feline Resorptive lesions, please visit the following links:

Vomiting can be caused by eating dry food or a stomach issue and can weight loss.

Your baby does need a vet exam to ascertain the cause of the blood in his saliva and his weight loss.

In the meantime feed him light soft foods like canned or baby food (no onion powder)

PLease let me know the outcome of his exam.

I hope all will be well.

Warmest best wishes,'