Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

why is my cat so tired and lifeless

Customer Question

why is my cat so tired and lifeless
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr M D Edwards :

Hi there

Dr M D Edwards :

Thanks for your question

Dr M D Edwards :

sorry to hear about your cat

Dr M D Edwards :

Could you please give me a little more information?

Dr M D Edwards :

How long has your boy been lethargic?

Dr M D Edwards :

Is he responsive to you?

Dr M D Edwards :

Is he eating and drinking ok?

Dr M D Edwards :

Have you noticed any other symptoms?

Dr M D Edwards :

are you there?

Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. I haven't heard from you in our chat. Please get back to me asap regarding the questions below:

Dr M D Edwards :

Hi there

Dr M D Edwards :

Thanks for your question

Dr M D Edwards :

sorry to hear about your cat

Dr M D Edwards :

Dr M D Edwards :

How long has your boy been lethargic?

Dr M D Edwards :

Is he responsive to you?

Dr M D Edwards :

Is he eating and drinking ok?

Dr M D Edwards :

Have you noticed any other symptoms?

Regards,

Dr Edwards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My 12 year old cat JESSY was grinding his teeth last night and wanted to throw out but unable to do so. He has been lethargic for the last 24 hours . He is lying on our bed but not relax. Usually he is very active and alert . JESSY loves to catch insects and lizard and he sometmes eat them . He is on dry food .

JESSY has not drink nor eat since last night - anyway since he is on dry food and his meal consumption is of small portion. He has not urinate for the last 24 hours .

I wonder whether he is unhappy with our recent adoption of a kitten . JESSY has for the last 12 years been our only pet in our apartment . Four weeks ago we took in a newly born stray kitten , and initially JESSY was hostile to this female kitten but recently i noticed he more or less accepted her presence in our apartment and they do play together occassionally . The kitten is indeed very playful and full of energy .

This is the first time i see JESSY so tired and lifeless. The last time was 8 years ago when he was operated for removal of kidney stones - due to difficulties in urinating.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me with that extra info. I am most concerned that he hasn't urinated for 24 hours!! It is very likely he could have a blocked bladder or even another kidney stone. Because he is so lethargic, I really would encourage you to get him to an after hours Vet tonight rather than waiting until morning. If he seems to have abdominal pain and is weak as well as seeming to strain to pee, then I would be very concerned he could have a blocked penis which is a medical emergency as electrolyte imbalances form (which could lead to vomiting or heart arrythmias if not treated in the next 2 - 3 hours) and he would also be at risk of his having a ruptured bladder if this is the case.

For these reasons, definitely get your boy to an ER Vet tonight rather than waiting until morning. Here they can palpate his abdomen and very quickly get an idea of whether he has a blocked penis or not. If he does this will need to be unblocked under anaesthesia as well as having IV fluids and further medication as needed. They may also wish to carry out a blood test if he doesn't seem to be blocked. Ideally he would be monitored over night as well. If his bladder is ok, then an ultrasound and/or xray should be taken of the abdomen to check for kidney stones.

I really doubt this has anything to do with the new kitten due to the degree of his symptoms, so don't worry about that. If you have any further questions, please be sure to reply, but otherwise please get to your Vet sooner rather than later.

Please keep in touch with your boy's progress and the final diagnosis that is made won't you.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please reply to questions urgently , Thank you
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not think is due to blocked bladder as JESSY did urinate yesterday afternnon . Please do some research and give me a satisfactory answer . If i did not revealed to you about his kidney stones what then would your answer ?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
If Jessie really hasn't urinated in 24 hours then he really does have a problem. A quick palpation from a Veterinarian would easily be able to rule this in or out and this would tie in with his sudden lethargy and weakness. There is a small chance he has developed sepsis or a toxicity from ingesting a lizard or something else around your house, but this to me seems less likely in a male cat with these symptoms and the history you have given me.

Obviously, I can't run blood tests on your boy over the internet, and this is the first thing that should be done to your boy in order to get a better idea of what could be going on with him. Further to this, he really needs an IV line placed asap to get his blood pressure up as well as to rehydrate him if he hasn't been drinking for some time now. These things in combination with a full Veterinary physical exam will help ascertain exactly what is going on here. Lethargy and inappetance are very nonspecific but important symptoms and it is for this reason swift follow up is needed in these cases, particularly in older cats.

The blood test will help check kidney function (which is important given the history you have given me), electrolyte imbalances, liver function and full complete blood count to get an idea of active infection. Even simple tests like heart and respiratory rates and temperature will help narrow down the large range of possible causes for your boy's current symptoms.

If it really has been even more than 12 hours since you have seen your boy urinate, then I would still be concerned about a blocked bladder. It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry when a genitourinary problem such as this is suspected - so I would again encourage you to get him checked rather than assume this isn't the problem, since so often leaving this type of potential problem untreated can be fatal.

Let me know if I can help you further won't you - but I really do think you should be getting this boy seen now if you can.

Regards,

Dr Edwards
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
PS: In the mean time, please check the following:

Mucus membranes: Flip his lip and check the color of his gums. They should be a nice salmon pink color. ILet me know if they are white, very pale pink, yellow tinged or dark red.

Capillary refill time: Press on his gum with your finger until it blanches, then count how long it takes for the color to return. This should be less than 2 seconds, let me know if it is more.

Respiratory rate: Count his breaths per minute - if he is panting or his resp rate is more than 15 breaths a minute, again let me know.

You could also gently feel his caudal abdomen (the far end of his tummy nearer his tail). If he is at all painful here, this is highly likely a blocked bladder problem.

Let me know how you get on with the above.

Dr Edwards
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
To get a better idea of the full range of possible causes of lethargy in the cat, please feel free to read this article HERE

Thanks,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about JESSY grinding his teeth ? He seems to have something stuck in his mouth . When he drinks , the water is not being swallowed . Grateful you provide explaination why he started grinding his teeth which lead to his tiredness . Just 24 hours ago he was alright .
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
The tooth grinding is sadly also a rather nonspecific symptom. This can be a sign of oral pain (broken tooth, gingivitis, oral foreign body, oral wound, tonsilitis/pharyngitis), but can also be a sign of nausea and lethargy! If he was attempting to eat but was having difficulty actually swallowing food, then this would make an oral problem (as above) much more likely and we would even have to consider a small bone stuck at the back of his throat. Usually when this is the case however the cat will be coughing and retching rather than grinding teeth. The fact the water isn't even going down is definitely a concern. One because again it makes it more likely there could be something stuck in his throat, and two because he will very quickly become dehydrated if this continues!

Again, with all of his symptoms and history taken into consideration, this boy really is best of being fully checked over by a local vet asap.