Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My kitten has a hole in her neck, and it is black inside.

Customer Question

My kitten has a hole in her neck, and it is black inside. The hole is getting larger. Puse is coming out just alitlle. My husband said that flies have laid eggs in her neck. Can yo answer my question please. What can I do for it
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer
I am sorry to hear your baby is having trouble.

Its possible what you are seeing is a embedded larva of the Cuterebra fly.

Cats can acquire cuterebra larva after curious investigations of a rodent or rabbit or their dens when outside

Most cuterebra larvae are found on the head and neck of cats. Sometimes, the larvae migrate abnormally and end up traveling through the brain. This can result in fatal brain and nervous system abnormalities, such as seizures.

If this is the case attempting to remove this can cause serious side effects, It is highly recommended to have this removed at your vets office. If the larval body is ruptured during the extraction process, the cat can develop serious complications such as severe allergic reactions For this reason, the breathing hole is typically enlarged and the larva are safely removed with a forceps or hemostat, and the area is flushed and cleaned with disinfectant. Antibiotics may also be needed

You can read more about this problem here

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1358&aid=3000

This could also be an abscess caused by a scratch or bite of another cat.

Read more here

www.petplace.com/cats/abscess-in-cats/page1.aspx

I would suggest having him seen as soon as possible by your vet.

I hope this has been helpful,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Edited by CandyR on 7/28/2010 at 8:24 PM EST