Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My cat has anemia, red blood cell count below 10%. He is listless,

My cat has anemia, red blood cell count below 10%. He is listless, but alert. The vet says there is nothing to do but a tranfusion and then try to figure out what is wrong. Only test left is a bone marrow test...Kitty is 15 yrs old and frail. I think I should put him down as he can barely stand rather than a tranfusion. Seems like a lot of stress on kitty and very little reward except a few more days/weeks wtih me. Thoughts? Comments? Am I / vet missing a treatment?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer
I am sorry to hear your baby is having trouble.

As you know there can be several causes for the drop in red blood cells and it sounds as if you have done all the testing other then a bone marrow test.Depending on the cause a transfusion may or may not fix the problem. You also noted other problems such as abnormal kidneys(kidney failure is the leading cause of death in cats), low blood pressure, not eating or drinking.

While this really does have to be your decision it sounds to me as if this baby has almost no quality of life at this point and considering all the other problems that the transfusion will not fix it may be best to let him go. I know how hard this is for you I just had to make the decision myself to let my dog who was 18 go.

On top of everything that is already causing problems I am also concerned about his liver at this point. When a cat stops eating the body begins to burn fat the problem is the liver can not process the additional fat and cats develop a problem known as hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver, this can and does lead to liver failure rather quickly if the cat does not start eating.

When are four legged family members reach the point where they are suffering or have no quality of life we have the option unlike with our human family to end the suffering or simply to prevent it. In the end often the last act of kindness we can show them is to allow the vet to help them pass peacefully and painlessly.As much as it hurts it is our ob to be as faithful and loving friend as they have been to us.

Unfortunately I can not tell you what to do but can only offer my opinion based on the information I have been given. It is always best to have a very frank conversation with the vet on what they think the chances are as they know the full medical history.

I hope this has helped in some small way, I will keep you in my thoughts, please reply back if I can be of additional assistance

Candy

Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information. I had not heard about the liver problem that may be on the horizon. We made litty his favorite meal last night, salmon, he had a little and seemed happy. We have been keeping him comfortable in the hopes that he passes in his favorite place at home. If that doesn't happen soon, we will take him to the vet to help him pass on. Thank you again, and i'm sorry to hear about your dog. Pets are such good companions and it is hard to see them go.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.

I am so glad to hear you have been able to get her to eat this is very important so give her what ever she wants. You can also try baby food in chicken or turkey.

You are correct pets are amazing companions I wish we could keep them forever unfortunately they are only here for a short time and hopefully teach us many lessons along the way. While they may be gone they leave their paw prints on our hearts forever

Candy