Dr. Scott, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery experience.

I just noticed that my cat has swelling under his chin. It

I just noticed that my cat has swelling under his chin. It does not seem to bother him when I touch it but is big enough to be noticeable. I don't know if it was there yesterday or not. My cat is 14 years old and has been recently seen by the vet for chronic diarrhea that has worsened. We changed his diet and gave him a steroid medication but neither has helped so I stopped the med about 2 weeks ago.
About 3 months ago just his botXXXXX XXXXXp was swollen for about 2 days then it went away. He looks generally uncomfortable at times and I often wonder if he has cramps from the diarrhea. My concern today is the lump under his chin. My vet's office is closed for lunch right now.
Hello there,

Is the swelling hard or soft?

Is he still eating and drinking normally?

Have you changed food bowls recently?

Does he go outside?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The swelling seems more firm than soft and seems to extend from one side of his jaw bone to the other. He has been eating and drinking. We have not changed food bowls recently. Only his diet was changed about a month ago to a "gastrointestinal" diet due to the diarrhea. He does not really go outside at all and if he does he is pretty close by. He is the oldest of my 4 cats.
If the swelling is firm, an abscess or insect bite is less likely. Some food bowl materials will cause an inflamed chin, but not if you haven't switched. Trauma is possible if he jumped and landed wrong. Impacted oil gland cysts or hair follicles are possible, but not common on the chin. A bone or skin tumor is also possible. There is nothing in the chin area but skin and bone. Lymph nodes and salivary glands are much further back. Inflammation is typically treated with an anti-inflammatory and sometimes the area is drained. Tumors of any type in that area are bad news as there is not usually enough skin left for removal. If the swelling persists, your vet will likely try an anti inflammatory pill or injection first. It could take several days to resolve. If it persists, an aspirate can be taken to get a specific diagnosis and treatment plan.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The swelling seems to be from under the ear area to about the mid jaw area.
If it starts by the ear, a salivary gland or lymph node problem is also possible. Trauma, tumors and abscesses are still possible as well. Insect reactions rarely cover that large an area. Spider bites are still possible, but the skin usually is painful and inflamed.