Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My kitten is constantly sneezing and has goopy eyes. Is this

My kitten is constantly sneezing and has goopy eyes. Is this allergies?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer
I am sorry to hear your baby is having trouble.

Can you tell me how old your baby is

How long has this been going on

Any discharge coming from the nose

Is the kitten eating and drinking

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I took her in initially as a foster parent- she was about 6 weeks old, they (the human society) said she had a respitory infection and she was on an antibiotic for 10 days. She got better and she was playful, eating and going to the bathroom. I took her back to the humane society in 4 weeks and within 2 weeks she was sick again and back on the medication. I took her back home and within 3 days she was fine again, but she still has the sneezes and the goopy eyes (once in a while).

She is approximately 16 weeks old.

I think she has a little discharge from the nose. I usually use a wet cloth to clean up her nose and eyes.

She eats and drinks fine and is very energetic.

Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Thank you for the information I am typing up your answer it may take me a few minutes you will be notified via email when I have posted my answer. I just didn't want you to linger in cyber space.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I cannot get to my email right now. I am supsended. How else can I get your response?

Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

It is possible this is due to another upper respiratory however there could be a few other causes.

Chlamydia is very common in kittens and can result in runny eyes and sneezing.

Herpes and Calicivirus is also very common and often stress(such as going to the clinic)can cause the problems to flair up. In this case adding the supplement l-lysine in a dosage of 250-500 mg/day is often very effective in preventing flair ups. This can be purchased at your vet or at larger pet stores.

This will explain the difference in the above conditions.

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/uris_in_cats.htm

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5783297_cat-rhinovirus-information.html

I would suggest speaking to the shelter about the possibility of herpes.

You can try rinsing the eye with sterile saline (non-medicated)used to clean contact lenses twice daily. Using saline drops such little noses(for infants) dropped in the nose twice daily may also help.

If the problem continues or becomes worse or this baby stops eating or becomes lethargic you should have him seen by the vet at the shelter.

Please let me know how things are going,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have an older cat - 14 years old and she now has the sneezing and the gooky eyes. I also have two other kittens from the same shelter that I have had now for 4 months-they are about 6-7 months old. They have received their vaccinations. I also have the kitten's sister who was also sick from birth and had the two doses of antibiotics. She seems fine right now. Should I be concerned for all the cats,especially the older cat? The two youngest kittens have not had their vaccinations.

Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately all of the above mentioned possibilities can be spread to other cats. I would be concerned about your older baby as she may be less able to fight off infection.

You can use the above home treatment for all the kitty's as well as the L-lysine I would start that as soon as possible. If the problem continues with your older girl I would have her seen by your vet.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The home remedy would be the L-lysine, the sterile saline for the eyes and the saline drops for the nose? I will try this first. I really cannot afford to take them all to the vet.

I plan to see the humane society this weekend. I will speak to them about the herpes.

Will any vaccinations help with any of this?

Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.

Yes the home treatment would be the saline wash, nose drops and L-lysine.

There are vaccines for the Herpes and Calicivirus although not 100% effective in preventing disease, the vaccine can reduce the severity of the problem and make it less likely to be passed on to other cats.

I would speak to the vet at the Humane Society I would also ask if the have a low cost clinic that will help you if needed.

Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer