S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.
Experience:  Up to 300 cats saved each year; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults

My cat is acting drunk stumbling when walking. My wife spilled

My cat is acting "drunk" stumbling when walking. My wife spilled her 1mg tablets of ativan today and we are worried she did not get them all and the cat might have ingested some part of a tablet. What should we do.
Category: Cat
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 6 years ago.
-- How long ago did this happen?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We got home from a friend's house around 11pm. Thats when we noticed. When I left the house around 4pm he was perfectly fine
-- From what you're describing he got one. Here's the problem: We don't know how many and it's been more than an hour or two so inducing vomiting would not be ineffective

If you have some activated charcoal in your First Aid Kit (which if you don't have, you will after this) - it's time to get some into him.

If you do not have any - it would be a good idea to get out to any drug store open right now and pick it up. It should be in the human med (vitamins, supplement) aisle. Ask the pharmacist if one is on duty.

Rather than administer a capsule, which is what they often come in, empty the capsules until you have about 1/2 teaspoon of the charcoal. Add just enough water to make it a 'slurry' or milkshake consistency.

You might want to pick up a syringe there - look in the area where they sell things to help give babies or toddlers their medications. Choose what you feel will work on your cat.

Might as well pick up unflavored children's Pedialyte too.

Keeping your kitty hydrated is important and may help move the med through his system quicker. Try the pedialyte with really smelly wet food until it's soupy - do whatever you can to encourage his eating.

Of course be sure he's safe and not going to jump and fall or injure himself in this state.

The hardest part of this is knowing how much he ate. You may be able to wait and watch with the efforts mentioned here; however, if he gets worse (here's where your own instincts come into play) - have an urgent care clinic ready - no matter what time it is.

Edited by S. August Abbott, CAS on 6/11/2010 at 4:20 AM EST
--- The sentence should read that "inducing vomiting would be ineffective"