Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

cat wont eat, drinks a lot of water, frequent urinatio

Customer Question

cat won't eat, drinks a lot of water, frequent urination
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christian K. replied 6 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• How old is your cat?
  • Has your cat had any vomiting?
  • How long has this problem been going on?
  • Is your cat losing weight?
  • Is your cat male or female?
  • Is your cat neutered or spayed?
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for you question.

The symptoms you describe may be indicative of a medical problem like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney issues, ingestion of a toxic substance, or other conditions.

If a cat doesn't eat, even for a short period of time, a risk of a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis, is possible, so it's important to find the cause of your cat's symptoms and get her eating again.

You can dropper feed watered down canned cat food from the side of the mouth, slowly, at 1cc per every 20 minutes for an hour, then repeat in 2 hours. However, if your cat vomits, stop!

It will be necessary to have your cat evaluated in person by a vet, as soon as possible, and a routine blood test, plus any other necessary testing, will provide more diagnostic tools for the vet. Once your cat is diagnosed, the most appropriate treatment will be prescribed.

I hope all will be well with your kitty!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,