Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

How can I tell how far along my cat is pregnant

How can I tell how far along my cat is pregnant?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

The normal gestation period in cats is an average of 63 days, or 9 weeks.

By week 3, your pregnant cat's nipples will start to become enlarged and a deeper pink in color. Her belly will not show any signs of swelling at this point. In her fourth week of pregnancy, her belly will start to look more rounded and full. The swelling of her nipples will start to be more evident, and her appetite will also start to increase. AT 5 weeks pregnant, you should start your cat eating a high quality kitten food, as this will provide the extra calories and protein she needs for herself and her growing litter; continue to feed her kitten food while she's nursing, also. At this point, the vet should be able to palpate (feel) the kittens in her belly and an x-ray will show how many kittens she has, so when she gives birth you will know how many to expect and also know if she is 'retaining' any kittens that she is having trouble delivering. The kittens skeletal structures will not be visible before week 5.

At week 6, your cat's pregnancy will become more obvious, physically and her pregnancy symptoms will now include behavioral changes, also. Your pregnant cat will now start to move around with more care. She'll avoid stretching and twisting actions, and if she usually goes outside, she'll probably prefer to stay inside, near you. Her appetite will continue to increase through the sixth week.

During week 7, you will see a noticeable change in behavior as she starts to show some signs of excitement. This is also called the "quickening" stage of cat pregnancy as the fetuses start to move. She'll roll and stretch and start to search for a spot to give birth. This is another good reason to keep your pregnant cat inside so that she doesn't make a 'nest' outside. You can provide her with a large laundry basket or cardboard box lined with layers of newspapers and towels, on top.

Here is more information about pregnancy and delivery, in cats:
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto15.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/delivery.html

Having your cat evaluated by your vet in person, will be your best way of knowing how far along she is, and to have her general health status checked.

I wish you and your furry girl much good luck!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher